Sigma Lens + Nikon D80 = ??? Chime in please... :)

So any one have experience with this particular sigma lens?

Sigma 28-70mm f/2.8-4 DG Aspherical Large Aperture Zoom Lens for Nikon SLR Cameras

The price is pretty good and the focal range seems right as well as the f-stops.

Any feed back would be great.

I'm a noob, but this seems like a very good idea. Get a medium camera with some economy lenses at first. Then if you get to the point where you feel your lenses are holding you back (though this one seems quite adequate), you can always upgrade to more zoom, or maybe some real low-light prime. The D40 is so cool, but I just can't shake the idea that the lenses are limiting on it. People go with Nikon to have that wide selection of lenses, so staying away from it really seems like a good idea, IMO.

I like the idea a lot!!! It seems like the perfect setup for someone who wants to grow a lot while not switching up digital cameras every year.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Get the D80, but you'd be better off with the kit lens than that Sigma. Nikon Kit Lens's are underrated by many and can produce great images.....probably much better than that cheap sigma. It seems silly to me to drop a grand on a camera and then put a cheap $80 glass on it (unless that cheap glass is a 50mm f1.8). seriously, get the 18-55, 15-70, or 18-135 to go with it and pick up the 50mm f1.8.

I had the constant 2.8 aperture version of that lens in canon mount for about a year.

Other than it having loud autofocus and being pretty heavy, it was a fantastic lens, sharp, good in low light, built like a tank.

The lens you posted on the other hand is going to be no better than any kit lens.

I have a Sigma 28-70mm f/2.8-4 but it doesn't look like that and it cost me $130 not $80. The lens I have is great, and is worlds better than any kit lens in both build and image quality.

I've got the fixed f/2.8 Sigma on my D80. It is slightly soft at both ends but very satisfactory.

I have used many Sigma lenses and will continue to buy them.

Like the one person said, the 18-55 is a heck of a kit lens though. Sharp as a tack. And that extra wide angle is nice.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back