Sigma Lens

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Rand0m411, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Rand0m411

Rand0m411 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I am kinda new to the world of Photography. I have a Canon 400D with the basic kit lens EFS 18-55m. Which really just doesnt do it for me.

Canon of course makes some great lenses. But I notice that Sigma makes comparable lenses that dont quite cost as much as the Canon lenses. Now I am willing to spend more money on a 'for sure' higher quality lens, but I was wondering how decent Sigma lenses are and what peoples opinions are on them.

Thanks for the help!

2. Fate

Fate TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sigma make some great lenses.

about half my lenses are sigma in fact.... i would deffo recommend the 30mm 1.4... very nice :)

Also, if your looking at 3rd party lenses... check out Tokina as well... they have some great glass and they are generally built like tanks.

3. Mav

Mav TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    It really depends on the specific Sigma lens you're talking about. Some are known to be quite good, while others not so good.

4. Rand0m411

Rand0m411 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Right now im just looking for some great lenses for different picture types. Id like to find a decent potrait lens, macro, telephoto (zoom), and possibly a wide angle (not exactly sure what I need for landscapes). I dont live that close to a big town so i rarely get a chance to look at lenses hands on, which forces me to buy online alot.

Any suggestions are more than welcome.

Thanks!

5. davebmck

davebmck TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have the Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS lens. It is a good all around lens and takes sharp images. I am very satisfied with it. On the other hand, I bought a Sigma 135-500 lens and couldn't get a sharp image with it no matter how I tried, so I returned it. I suggest reading a lot of reviews before buying a particular lens.

6. Dubious Drewski

Dubious Drewski TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yes! Just pick a range that you need, find out who makes that kind of lens, then read user reviews galore!

I was very pumped up to save the $1000 for the Pentax 16-50 f/2.8. But after reading the horrible reviews regarding its IQ, I was quickly dissuaded from buying it.

7. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thats excellent advice and not just applied to Sigma. Research the best lens that you want in any given area.

Sigma makes both market leaders and very poor lenses. As an example, they make THREE versions of the 18-50 lens, and the first two are marginal at best, but the last one made (18-50 EX DC HSM Macro), is truly better than anything on the market, AND it is very reasonable and has a 3:1 macro tossed in.

The Sigma 30mm F/1.4 is again, awesome, but make sure you get a recent build. Older versions had back-focusing issues. If you get a recent vesion, you will find tha they are sick sharp, focus properly and have a unique feel to their bokeh.

(I just did this picture with the 30mm recently. It's so sharp, every facial detail is visible, even the ones you don't want to show... lol)

8. Rand0m411

Rand0m411 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thank you all very much for the advice and recommendations, it is greatly appreciated. I will start doing some research this week! And JerryPH the sharpness of that Sigma 30mm F/1.4 is insane! Im very impressed. I need one of those :wink:

9. davebmck

davebmck TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hey Jerry, is that image as shot without any sharpening in PS? If so, it is truly scary sharp.

10. jsrockit

jsrockit TPF Noob!

Here's a photo straight out of a Nikon D60 using that Sigma 30mm f/1.4 lens... it is pretty sharp.

[​IMG]

11. Village Idiot

Village Idiot No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sigma's telephoto lenses can't compare to Canon's line up....but they're much cheaper.

12. jsrockit

jsrockit TPF Noob!

I agree with that in general. You're best to go with the Sigma and like brands when they offer a lens that Canon or Nikon don't offer.