Sigma Lens

Rand0m411

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am kinda new to the world of Photography. I have a Canon 400D with the basic kit lens EFS 18-55m. Which really just doesnt do it for me.

Canon of course makes some great lenses. But I notice that Sigma makes comparable lenses that dont quite cost as much as the Canon lenses. Now I am willing to spend more money on a 'for sure' higher quality lens, but I was wondering how decent Sigma lenses are and what peoples opinions are on them.

Thanks for the help!

Sigma make some great lenses.

about half my lenses are sigma in fact.... i would deffo recommend the 30mm 1.4... very nice :)

Also, if your looking at 3rd party lenses... check out Tokina as well... they have some great glass and they are generally built like tanks.

It really depends on the specific Sigma lens you're talking about. Some are known to be quite good, while others not so good.

Right now im just looking for some great lenses for different picture types. Id like to find a decent potrait lens, macro, telephoto (zoom), and possibly a wide angle (not exactly sure what I need for landscapes). I dont live that close to a big town so i rarely get a chance to look at lenses hands on, which forces me to buy online alot.

Any suggestions are more than welcome.

Thanks!

I have the Sigma 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DC OS lens. It is a good all around lens and takes sharp images. I am very satisfied with it. On the other hand, I bought a Sigma 135-500 lens and couldn't get a sharp image with it no matter how I tried, so I returned it. I suggest reading a lot of reviews before buying a particular lens.

Yes! Just pick a range that you need, find out who makes that kind of lens, then read user reviews galore!

I was very pumped up to save the $1000 for the Pentax 16-50 f/2.8. But after reading the horrible reviews regarding its IQ, I was quickly dissuaded from buying it.

It really depends on the specific Sigma lens you're talking about. Some are known to be quite good, while others not so good.

Thats excellent advice and not just applied to Sigma. Research the best lens that you want in any given area.

Sigma makes both market leaders and very poor lenses. As an example, they make THREE versions of the 18-50 lens, and the first two are marginal at best, but the last one made (18-50 EX DC HSM Macro), is truly better than anything on the market, AND it is very reasonable and has a 3:1 macro tossed in.

The Sigma 30mm F/1.4 is again, awesome, but make sure you get a recent build. Older versions had back-focusing issues. If you get a recent vesion, you will find tha they are sick sharp, focus properly and have a unique feel to their bokeh.

(I just did this picture with the 30mm recently. It's so sharp, every facial detail is visible, even the ones you don't want to show... lol)

Thank you all very much for the advice and recommendations, it is greatly appreciated. I will start doing some research this week! And JerryPH the sharpness of that Sigma 30mm F/1.4 is insane! Im very impressed. I need one of those :wink:

Thats excellent advice and not just applied to Sigma. Research the best lens that you want in any given area.

Sigma makes both market leaders and very poor lenses. As an example, they make THREE versions of the 18-50 lens, and the first two are marginal at best, but the last one made (18-50 EX DC HSM Macro), is truly better than anything on the market, AND it is very reasonable and has a 3:1 macro tossed in.

The Sigma 30mm F/1.4 is again, awesome, but make sure you get a recent build. Older versions had back-focusing issues. If you get a recent vesion, you will find tha they are sick sharp, focus properly and have a unique feel to their bokeh.

(I just did this picture with the 30mm recently. It's so sharp, every facial detail is visible, even the ones you don't want to show... lol)
Hey Jerry, is that image as shot without any sharpening in PS? If so, it is truly scary sharp.

Here's a photo straight out of a Nikon D60 using that Sigma 30mm f/1.4 lens... it is pretty sharp.

2374142335_498a5a3627_b.jpg

Sigma's telephoto lenses can't compare to Canon's line up....but they're much cheaper.

I agree with that in general. You're best to go with the Sigma and like brands when they offer a lens that Canon or Nikon don't offer.

Also, check out the reviews on www.fredmiranda.com

In general, most of the Canon/Nikons are a bit better, but often much more expensive than your 3rd party lenses. It's a trade-off you'll have to make. Sometimes it's the optics and increased chromatic abberation, but often it's build quality and/or contacts b/w lens and body.

Thanks for the link ChrisP, I'll check it out.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back