Sigma question....

Frequent Traveler

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience with Sigma wide-angles?

I am interested in the Sigma 15-30 F3.5-4.5 EX Aspherical DG DF and having read a few reviews, i'm interested to know anyones "first-hand" experience with it....

Thanks!!!

I am interested in the Sigma 15-30 F3.5-4.5 EX Aspherical DG DF and having read a few reviews, i'm interested to know anyones "first-hand" experience with it....
I own the Sigma 10-20 for my Canon 350D. I can honestly say its my favorite lens. I was concerned about distortion/aberration around the edges when shooting at 10mm but it's not an issue AFAIC. The build quality is great, the focusing is FAST and QUIET, and it has performed very nicely for me.

The nice thing about the 15-30 is the lower f value, but the price is about 2x higher. When I tried the 15-30, I was impressed, but didn't want to spend the cash on it. The Canon 10-22 would have been my next choice, it was in the $650 range on amazon.

Hey sothoth -

Thanks again for commenting in the never-ending saga of my pursuit of a good (not too spendy!!!!) wide-angle lens!

How do you like the colors on your Sigma?

Also, this lens is intended for my KM 7D.... Are the lens element formulas different in each mount, or does only the chip and mounting bayonet change?

fm

How do you like the colors on your Sigma?

Also, this lens is intended for my KM 7D.... Are the lens element formulas different in each mount, or does only the chip and mounting bayonet change?

As far as colors go, I really think that's just a personal preference issue. I took my 350D body to my favorite photo shop and shot images with the Canon 10-22 and the Sigma 10-20 and the Tamron 11-18. I've heard rave reviews of both the other choices. But having said that, the colors on the Sigma just seemed to have higher contrast and better saturation than the other two. Or... it's just what my eye likes to see. I don't think the alternatives are bad by any means, so pick what you like.

Each lens won't change in configuration except, as you said, the mount and chip. So there isn't any substantive difference between the Nikon version and the Canon version or the KM.

Gotcha on the color "thing" - sounds like you hit my color preferences on the head....are you sure you're not a Minolta person?!? ; -)

Thanks for the heads up on the lens formula -it makes good sense to have the same formula, but i really didn't know fer sure and definitely don't "know" anything about this stuff...

frank

Most reactions

New Topics

Back