Sigma vs Canon

rjackjames

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am debating on which macro lens I should get the Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro or the Sigma 150mm f2.8 Macro?

I can heartily recommend the Sigma 105mm DG Macro lens, it's much cheaper than the canon equivalent, gives a great quality picture and doubles as a fantastic portrait lens as well.

It's without doubt my favourite lens.

I am debating on which macro lens I should get the Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro or the Sigma 150mm f2.8 Macro?

I have a professional photog friend who just got the Sigma 150 ... it is a great lens ... sharper than hell ... and it focuses fairly fast for a macro (he's gonna shot some cooking instructions for Nestle with the lens).

If you don't need the range, according to Klaus at www.photozone.de - the Canon 60mm EF-S macro is a bit sharper than the Sigma 50, Sigma 70 and the Canon 100. Klaus hasn't tested the Sigma 150mm.

Photozone does lab testing of lenses.

Gary

I have heard great stuff about the Sigma lens. awesome pictures and the sharpness is great.

The only downside to the sigma 105mm (i'm not sure if it applies to the 150mm) is the fact that the AF is quite noisy and a bit sluggish in comparison to the canon lenses. But I always use it in manual focus anyway so it's not much of an issue for me.

I really wish I can test this lens before buying it. I will just hold off on buying it until my return to the US.

Most reactions

Back