Sigma zoom lens

Gisel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello, I am totally new to digital slr (slr for that matter). I am going to get a Canon EOS 350d/Rebel XT. I was wanting to buy the body only and buy separately a zoom lens other than the kit lens which I hear is not that great? My budget initially is pretty limited for a lens. I don't know anything about SLRs. Always used a point and shoot.

I like to take pictures of landscapes and other outdoor things (such as trees, rocks, etc :blushing:. I keep thinking "that's a really nice boulder" Shrek anyone?); macro of flowers, moss, etc; and pictures of my baby indoors and outdoors.

I was thinking of these 2 lenses:

Sigma Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto 28-105mm f/3.8-5.6 UC III
Sigma Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto 28-135mm f/3.8-5.6 Aspherical IF Macro Autofocus Lens

I have been looking for reviews on them, but I don't seem to find these exactly. So I don't know if they are good, ok or really crappy. They are cheap lenses I know, but that is all I can afford to begin with while I am learning.

Why I am thinking of them is because they have a good range. Wide angle for the landscapes, telephoto for things small at a distance like my husband climbing a rock somewhere, middle of the road for pictures of my baby and the bottom one has macro. They are fairly fast. Not the fastest but better that 6 +.

Any other suggestions for under $200?

Thanks in advance.

i am sure taht u know this but a macro lense is very special and a litle weird i would use a magnifying filter before u invest in a macro
also just to let you know u can get an adapter for cannos that makes nikon lenses fit and nikon lenses are amazing

Magnifying aux lenses are okay for close-ups, especially if you are just playing around; but if you are serious about it, a dedicated macro lens will give you better results. It won't make normal images weird. They are just able to focus closer.

I also wouldn't bother getting an adapter just to fit a Nikon lens on. Both Canon and Nikon make great lenses, so it makes more sense to me to use something made for the camera.

I haven't used the lenses you ask about, so unfortunately I can't comment on them.

I know it sounds limiting, but starting with a lens like a 50mm f1.8 is inexpensive and usually helps people in developing their photography skill.

i a am a litle bit new but as your onleu lense i would proably not want a macro also the adapter solution was just an option that i just herd of that i thought was cool

Most reactions

Back