Signs of the times (warning: offensive feline language)

I like #2 the most. I see it as having a pessimistic message, as in: There's only one way you can go, and that's to this shadow, to emptiness and hollowness.

#1 is way too over sharpened; it's overwhelming. But I'm am intrigued that you're Canadian and the sign mentions Winkler. Is this the Winkler in Southern Manitoba? As in, the place where my Grandparents live and 2 of my younger brothers were born?

The rusty sign in #4 is great too. Tons of colours from something you wouldn't expect to have colours.

But I'm am intrigued that you're Canadian and the sign mentions Winkler. Is this the Winkler in Southern Manitoba? As in, the place where my Grandparents live and 2 of my younger brothers were born?
That should be the place where your grandparents live, yes. Number 3 is in Winkler too, and that was the only graffiti I saw in my whole day there. (Pretty appalling graffiti if you ask me, considering how strict life is in Winkler :))

* I know where you live, I know where you live * :p
No, you don't :p

Thanks for looking and commenting, guys!

The newest sign of the collection, shot against a sunset from another world:

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Whoa, didn't know they had speed limit signs on Jupiter!

Isn't that the great red spot over on the...

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Whoa, didn't know they had speed limit signs on Jupiter!

Isn't that the great red spot over on the...

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:
If that was the great red spot, then the photo wouldn't have been taken in Jupiter, would it? ;)

An ignorant Photoshop Elements question: I had to use fill flash on this one, and the reflective material on the sign made the white too bright. Is there any way to make the white a bit darker without darkening the rest of the image?

If that was the great red spot, then the photo wouldn't have been taken in Jupiter, would it? ;)

An ignorant Photoshop Elements question: I had to use fill flash on this one, and the reflective material on the sign made the white too bright. Is there any way to make the white a bit darker without darkening the rest of the image?
One method might be to make a selection of just the sign, then click to bring up a curves or levels adjustment layer. Try darkening with either of those. One could feather the selection of the sign, so the transition isn't so abrupt.

Another method might be to use the burn tool, set at a very low percent so too much isn't done at once, and darken it a bit that way. I'd copy the layer first so you're not affecting pixels on the background layer. This way you can get rid of the layer with the burn if you didn't like it.

Another way would be to copy the whole layer, set its blend mode to multiply, create a layer mask filled with black to hide everything, then paint with white on the mask over the sign to just let multipy show through over the sign.

There are probably more ways to try, but these are off the top of my head.

Have fun!

You really have a thing for signs...I like it.
I was traveling one time and I started to take photos of different signs...I stopped, but I should have kept at it. That was probably 10 years ago...I'd have a good collection by now.

Have you been to (or seen) the Sign Post Forest, in Watson Lake?

I was traveling one time and I started to take photos of different signs...I stopped, but I should have kept at it. That was probably 10 years ago...I'd have a good collection by now.

One method might be...
(...)
Have fun!
Thanks for the detailed explanation, John. This is way beyond my current knowledge of Photoshop, but I'll give it a try :)

I had never heard of it, but I just googled it. That's quite the forest :)

Nice pictures. I like the idea of taking photos of signs also. I really like the colors and the different angles.
P.S., I also have issues with getting comments whenever I post pics, and I know its not because they're perfect!
Keep up the good work.

Most reactions

Back