Silhouettes

Welcome in. Enjoy your time here. I sure do.

Dynamite first post.

i posted this in the photo gallery and someone suggested i add it to the theme section
Link gone :(

Last edited by a moderator:
't was me.
And wasn't I right to suggest it? Doesn't it belong here perfectly?

How do you get the siloutte effect especially for someone without an slr?

Aim your camera at the brightest thing you can find, click the shutter half way and hold it. Most cameras will hold the settings for that bright spot (focus as well as exposure). Then move your camera to where you actually want to take the photo and press the rest of the way. Depending on how bright of a spot you found, your camera will expose for that bright spot, leaving the shadows nice and well shadowy.

If you get a shot with a close-but-not-quite silohette (some detail still in the shadows), you can use photoshop to burn the shadows. And make it completely opaque.

This was taken with the digital pushed to its limit. Please excuse the purple fringing.

hi guys, ok, I tried to start a new and fresh thread for silhouettes, but was told I should just revive this suffering thread. I noticed a few great silhouettes in the Subscriber's Gallery belonging to M @ k o. (I especially like the humming bird).

And here is one of my own: Its called "Get busy living".

I look forward to seeing more Silhouettes, as they are a bit of a fascination for me.

Well, I'm not sure this is the idea of the Themes, Brian, we usually only post our own work in here, assorted by the themes that are either given (whether ancient or not doesn't matter) or, if it is all new and has never been created before, in a new theme thread.

I like to see many more collected silhouette photos here, so in that I agree with you, but other than in the POTM*-polls (a fun game to elect our own "Photo Of The Month" here in Themes), we rather send in our own work, see?

And Themes is not where we discuss pics much, we just present them, assorted. Going with the theme. You see? So this new beginning and the old thread might still get merged, just so we keep this place tidy, ok?

:thumbup: Point taken LaFoto, humble apologies. I guess I should take a little more time to have a good look around and learn how things work before I get too carried away with my over active enthusiasm. I've edited my post accordingly.

(I do still think the messages with dead links are annoying (when there are loads of them) and that perhaps they could be removed to tidy it all up, but maybe I'm just being a bit of a neat freak).

I'll find out what can be done about the old threads with dead links... I agree that it really clutters this forum, I have thought so always... We shall see ;)...

Most reactions

Back