Silly Nikon Lens Question

PatrickCheung

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
... sooo I might come off as stupid asking this, but...

I was looking at lenses for my D60 today and started to wonder if nikon's non-DX lenses will work on it. :S and I also wondered if DX lenses work on their FX cameras and if they do, then is there any like... quality loss?

this kinda determines what lenses i'm buying in the future, soooo if anyone has any answers, they'd be very very very appreciated. THANKS 8D

DX and FX will work on the D60, Only FX will work on FX bodies.

ahh, so would it be smart to buy FX lenses for my D60?

I was looking at lenses for my D60 today and started to wonder if nikon's non-DX lenses will work on it. :S and I also wondered if DX lenses work on their FX cameras and if they do, then is there any like... quality loss?
Yes, yes, and yes.

Any Nikon-compatible lens with an internal focus motor (Nikon's AF-S or AF-I) should be fully-functional on the D40/D60/D3000/D5000.

FX full-frame lenses work just fine on DX cameras with APS-C size sensors. In fact, since the DX sensor captures only the center of the image that passes through the lens, you get only the sweet spot and lose the edge distortions that some lenses show when mounted on a full-frame camera.

DX lenses can be mounted on FX cameras, but you'll only be able to use the center of the image.

In short, anything on this page with AF-S in front of it should work fine with your D60:
Nikon Camera Lenses

Yes, yes, and yes.

Any Nikon-compatible lens with an internal focus motor (Nikon's AF-S or AF-I) should be fully-functional on the D40/D60/D3000/D5000.

FX full-frame lenses work just fine on DX cameras with APS-C size sensors. In fact, since the DX sensor captures only the center of the image that passes through the lens, you get only the sweet spot and lose the edge distortions that some lenses show when mounted on a full-frame camera.

DX lenses can be mounted on FX cameras, but you'll only be able to use the center of the image.

In short, anything on this page with AF-S in front of it should work fine with your D60:
Nikon Camera Lenses

not entirely true. only AF-S lenses will autofocus on the D40/60/3000/5000
AF lenses will meter but not focus. manual focus still works of course.

there is a mode on FX bodies to make DX lenses work but it only uses a portion of the sensor equal to APS-C sized sensors. you end up with a 5.1 megapixel image.

Yes, yes, and yes.

Nikon Camera Lenses

there is a mode on FX bodies to make DX lenses work but it only uses a portion of the sensor equal to APS-C sized sensors. you end up with a 5.1 megapixel image.

AF-I is different from AF or AF-D. AF-I designates an internal motor for focusing, but it's not a Silent Wave Motor (SWM) so it's noisy almost like a AF or AF-D lens when auto-focusing. Since it is an internal motor though, it will work 100% on a D40/60/3000/5000.

Yes, yes, and yes.

Nikon Camera Lenses

AF-I is different from AF or AF-D. AF-I designates an internal motor for focusing, but it's not a Silent Wave Motor (SWM) so it's noisy almost like a AF or AF-D lens when auto-focusing. Since it is an internal motor though, it will work 100% on a D40/60/3000/5000.

i actually missed part of JustAnEngineer's last sentence. i thought he said every lens on that page would work. somehow i missed the part where he said the ones on the page with AF-S :confused: doh

DX lenses do work automatically on FX bodies. The difference is the camera automatically limits to 5mpx. This isn't too great a loss, you can certainly still pull excellent images with a 5mpx camera that easily blow up beyond A3 size. (i.e. more than enough for most people who rarely print larger than 8x10 or view images on their computer screen).

AF-I lenses retain all support with AF-S lenses so they work on all cameras as far as I know.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back