Silver Wings

Kane Adams

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here are three of my favorite nature photos which I've taken throughout the years. Two of the shots are done with a point & shoot and one is with a dslr.

Silver Wings
silver_wings_by_kane_adams-d8j4fei.jpg

Swan Lake
swan_lake_by_kane_adams-d8j4etg.jpg

Floating Ice
icy_lake_by_kane_adams-d8j4g6s.jpg

Please let me know what you think. I'd appreciate some general feedback.

Kane, welcome to the forum. I am assuming that because you posted these here, that you are looking for comments on your imagery.

The butterfly is nice, but seems a little fuzzy. Maybe it needs a bit of sharpening or is it out of focus just a bit. The second one seems a bit dark. One of the things I always try to do in bird imagery, is to make sure the eye is visible and in focus. The third one is not bad, but you were shooting into the sun and this makes part of the head toward you very dark and the eye hard to see.

White birds are very hard to photograph well, as the camera's exposure meter is "programmed" to give you 18% grey, so you do have to allow for a bit of exposure compensation, which you may be able to do with your new DSLR. The actual amount of compensation will depend on the background. I can elaborate further if you are interested.

Looking forward to more of your contributions.

WesternGuy

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind next time I try to take shots of birds.
I forgot to mention that I have not edited these at all, it's only what the camera "sees". Plus, at the time I had no idea what RAW is and maybe it could have allowed for additional improvements in post-processing. This is concerning the last picture, as it is the one I took with the DSLR.

White birds are very hard to photograph well, as the camera's exposure meter is "programmed" to give you 18% grey, so you do have to allow for a bit of exposure compensation, which you may be able to do with your new DSLR. The actual amount of compensation will depend on the background. I can elaborate further if you are interested.

Sure, I'd like to know more about exposure compensation. Maybe you could point me to a good book or online guide. I swear at times I feel like I can pull off beter photos with my old camera.

Most reactions

Back