Similar lenses

Snakeguy101

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, I am looking to purchase some new lenses and I was looking at getting the following:

Tokina 11mm - 16mm F/2.8 ATX Pro DX Autofocus Zoom Lens
http://www.adorama.com/TN1116NK.html

and

Nikon 85mm f/3.5G AF-S DX Micro ED (VR-II) Vibration Reduction Telephoto Nikkor Lens
2190 Nikon 85mm f/3.5G AF-S DX Micro ED (VR-II) Vibration Reduction Telephoto Nikkor Lens - U.S.A. Warranty

I was wondering if you guys knew of any similar lenses or better ones for around the same price range and if you guys had personal experience with either of these lenses. Are they good mid-level lenses? What are your experiences?

You might want to have a look at the reviews on other wideangle lens options: these might help
Juza Nature Photography - Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 EX DC (vs Sigma 12-24 on FF)

Juza Nature Photography - Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM Review

Juza Nature Photography - Sigma, Canon, Tamron and Tokina APS-C Wide-Angles
Last one compares 4 sigma, tokina, tamron and canon wide angles together (inc the 11-16mm) whilst its not got any Nikon in the test it should give a good idea of the spread (8-16mm not included because it wasn't out at the time of that articles writing).

As for the 85mm macro what is your intent - as a macro lens or a portrait lens with a bit of extra magnifiaction for when needed?

sigma 10-20 i like this lens alot for its versatility, the extra 4mm difference on the long end can mean that you can actually take a picture of a person in it without making them look extremely odd like you would with the 16mm. However i do think the 11-16 is better in other places such as low light.

Also look into the 105mm macro, if u truly need it for macro needs consider a used 105mm AF instead of AFS to save money.

sigma 10-20 i like this lens alot for its versatility, the extra 4mm difference on the long end can mean that you can actually take a picture of a person in it without making them look extremely odd like you would with the 16mm. However i do think the 11-16 is better in other places such as low light.

Also look into the 105mm macro, if u truly need it for macro needs consider a used 105mm AF instead of AFS to save money.

Thanks! I looked into the 105mm but I think for the price, I would be better off with the 85mm. I'm not into the super close up macro but I would like something half decent- unless I find out it is a bad lens all around, then I might invest the extra $.

For close up work on subjects like lizards 85mm is a pretty good range, esp if you end up indoors or in confined spaces working with them - longer macro lenses would give you more distance between yourself and the subject and I'ev found, for larger subjects in indoor/confined spaces that its a hindrance.

However -- snakes ----- nikon make a 200mm macro lens -- I'd probably look into getting that one for the snakes! ;)

Thanks! I looked into the 105mm but I think for the price, I would be better off with the 85mm. I'm not into the super close up macro but I would like something half decent- unless I find out it is a bad lens all around, then I might invest the extra $.

the macro lenses from thrid parties are very sharp too, dont dismiss them without a try

the macro lenses from thrid parties are very sharp too, dont dismiss them without a try

Yep +1 as many love the Tamron 90mm f2.8 macro and is a lot cheaper than the 105vr

Okay do you have any suggestions? I will start looking into them more.

Most reactions

Back