Simple (cheap;)) digital with manual control?

(Ghastly) Krueger

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

I'm looking into replacing the "family" camera... (you know, the one you can carry everywhere and eveyone can use... but I'd also like to have some manual control over exposure, aperture, focus... you know.

I've been looking into the Canon G7... but it seems a bit over the top.

Can anybody recommend a camera like this but a bit... well, cheaper?

Thanks

A camera like the G7 but cheaper? Er, a G6? :)
Unfortunately there aren't many fixed-lens digital cameras which are compact but also offer a good level of manual control. The Canon G series are probably about as good as you'll get.

Unless your set on buying Canon, the next best camera I would recomend, would be the Nikon P5000. It like the G7, has an optical view finder, a hot shoe, 10 megapixs, VR, and 2.5 LCD. I would at least check it out any way. http://www.porters.com

I highly recommend the Canon A-series cameras, easy enough for my wife to use, (lol), and yet feature rich enough to take some GREAT photos.

Everything thus far on my flickr is from a Canon A610 which can be found VERY cheap, and it has a cool swivel screen which comes in handy!

check out examples here: www.flickr.com/photos/rmthompson

A camera like the G7 but cheaper? Er, a G6? :)
Unfortunately there aren't many fixed-lens digital cameras which are compact but also offer a good level of manual control. The Canon G series are probably about as good as you'll get.

I agree..

The entire G line from Canon has always known to be a top-level performer in the P&S market. For a good snapshooter to carry around on all occasions, I personally would rather have a Canon G6 at my side over a Digital Rebel with kit lens.

I just recently replaced my ol'G1 3mp with a used G5 and the camera meets my expectations and then some. If a G6 crossed my path at a steal, I would not hesitate.

On the other hand, I'm not too sure about the G7. There are alot of features that are missing in the G7 that have historically been available on previous G models.

Unless your set on buying Canon, the next best camera I would recomend, would be the Nikon P5000. It like the G7, has an optical view finder, a hot shoe, 10 megapixs, VR, and 2.5 LCD. I would at least check it out any way.

Looks very good, but still a bit above what I want.

I highly recommend the Canon A-series cameras, easy enough for my wife to use, (lol), and yet feature rich enough to take some GREAT photos.
He he... Thanks, I'm looking at them.

Everything thus far on my flickr is from a Canon A610 which can be found VERY cheap, and it has a cool swivel screen which comes in handy!

Nice examples, thanks...

I agree..
On the other hand, I'm not too sure about the G7. There are alot of features that are missing in the G7 that have historically been available on previous G models.

Yes, I see it now.

The Canon A630 is looking sweeeet for now. Thanks a lot for the tips guys...!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back