simple lens Q ?

hum .. ok .. I thought when OP said "those small number wide angel lens say 24mm so expensive because the aperture they provide", he meant 24mm prime lens because it has only one fix focal length.

I thought he was comparing 18-55 with 24-??mm. Not familiar with Nikon product lines.

The expensive fast wide angle lens are really meant for a full sensor. If you buy that expensive lens and use it on your camera, it will be a like a fast zoom lens.

:scratch:

what? PUt a 24mm on a crop sensor, what will that do?

it zooms in and out does it? It is not prime.

eh???
A 24mm lens - one with a single focal length is a prime lens no matter what you mount it to. It might only extend in and out as it focuses but it keeps the same focal length and thus is a prime lens.
Using it on a crop sensor also does NOT change the focal length of the lens - its still 24mm in focal length. However because the "crop sensor" is smaller and does not capture the edge data from the lens it gives you a cropped shot (in comparison to a full frame camera body). This gives you an altered field of view that is more similar to a longer focal length lens (on full frame) however the focal length is still the same.

As an aside the crop sensor field of view difference is really not of concern unless you have prior experience of using fullframe - 35mm camera bodies. If you have no experience then the conversions info really makes no difference.

Furthermore all focal lengths at the same - an EFS (crop sensor only) lens at 24mm would give you the same image as an EF (fullframe and crop sensor) 24mm lens would give you - because focal lengths are the same.

I thought he was comparing the wide angle zoom lens with his 18-55mm.. my bad. You know how some lenses are meant for full frame etc.

I thought he was comparing the wide angle zoom lens with his 18-55mm.. my bad. You know how some lenses are meant for full frame etc.

The line "some lenses are made for fullframe and not crop sensor" is again a viewpoint that is held by those that shot with film SLRs or fullframe digital camera bodies - sensors of 35mm in size. Thus there were standard primes for that format that they grew acustomed to using because of the field of view that those lenses gave.
When they change to a 1.6 or even 1.3 crop sensor camera body those fields of view change and they no longer give the same view that the photographer was used to - thus they give the opinion that these lenses are no longer suitable for crop sensor.

They are right in that if you want the same feel and effect of a 24mm lens on a fullframe camera body on a crop sensor body then yes you have to use a different focal length - if you've never shot with a fullframe then its a moot point.

It is more true to say that there are lenses made for crop sensor specifically since on fullframe they would start to suffer from vignetting and curvature problems - infact lenses like the canon 10-20mm won't even fit to fullframe camera bodies.

The bottom line for the OP... Your 18-55 lens already has an 18mm wide angle capability. Purchasing a 24mm prime (or zoom with 24mm) will not give you as wide an angle as your current lens.

What you may get as a benifit is a faster aperture and a better quality glass and build; as you correctly surmised.

yes , i am not that much familiar with lenses only than i am asking ,
so what you suggest for my d5000 which starting wide angel lens should i go for ?

also suggest me d5000 has no inbuilt motor so i have to buy af-s i know
but wanted a suggestion if i go for manual focus lens (cheap available) will be it impossible on those to focus as mostly i take my shot in manual mode and i love it , can i take it lightly to not have a auto focus

Last edited:
Is the current lens you have not wide enough (view) for you?

Is the current lens you have not wide enough (view) for you?

I guess it is ...
i asked because i wanted to know why special wide angel lens are so expensive, and people has really cleared my doubt

hay , while posting in this thread i got from noob to moving up status , :lmao:

If you are using an 18-55, I'm going to assume you have a crop sensor, APS-C, sized sensor. This means to determine your actual focal length, you multiply the number by its crop factor (1.6) for APS-C. So your 18mm end is really a 29mm, more or less.
This statement is incorrect on two issues.

1) Your focal length will not change whether you're using a cropped sensor or a full frame sensor. Your focal length stamped on your lens is just that.... your focal length. A lot of people get this confused. It is the Field of View (FoV) that is changed from crop to full sensors.

2) The crop factor for Nikon bodies is 1.5.

Until you get really good at photography,or you need to make larger prints, your kit lens should serve you well.
This statement is one I couldn't agree with more. He is absolutely correct. Also, consider an external flash before another lens. Your kit lens is quite capable given enough light. If photography is only a hobby at this time and general indoor/outdoor shooting, you will get more pleasing results than a new lens.

Prime lens have better optical quality than zooms because they are optimized for one focal length and in them, all elements have fixed position and move all at the same time. In zooms elements can move in groups which makes it harder to have the same quality.

The expensive fast wide angle lens are really meant for a full sensor. If you buy that expensive lens and use it on your camera, it will be a like a fast zoom lens.

:scratch:

what? PUt a 24mm on a crop sensor, what will that do?

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that he means "telephoto" when he writes "zoom." I guess if I got a 35mm f/1.8 and I put it on a 1.6 FOVCF, then I would essentially have the field of a 56mm with the speed of a f/1.8. However, a lot of people don't realize that a wide angle also adds depth, and a telephoto flattens. A 1.6 FOVCF doesn't really "make a wide angle lens into a telephoto lens" so much as crops the center of the image. Hence the "crop factor" in the title.

Or perhaps he means if you put a wide angle DX or EF-S lens on a FF camera, it will fall off and zoom to the ground. Fast. :bigangel:

1) Your focal length will not change whether you're using a cropped sensor or a full frame sensor. Your focal length stamped on your lens is just that.... your focal length. A lot of people get this confused. It is the Field of View (FoV) that is changed from crop to full sensors.

2) The crop factor for Nikon bodies is 1.5.

A good distinction. Thanks for the clarification. I didn't know about the 1.5x for Nikon bodies. Do you know why there is a difference between Nikon and Canon for the same type of sensor?

Most reactions

Back