simple point n shoot or DSLR?

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by dancerxot, Mar 29, 2009.

1. dancerxot

dancerxot TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    for the past few years i've been using a cheap samsung s630 for pictures of friends and exploring my interest in photography; now i'm planning to apply to college for photography. needless to say, i need to upgrade my camera. the noise on my camera is ridiculous, and i'd like to submit the best quality pictures i can. i have about two years til i'm off to college, should i upgrade to a better quality point and shoot or get a mid-grade DSLR that will last a little longer?

i'm definitely open for suggestions: i want something versatile (as a student i'll be shooting a variety of subjects), sturdy, not huge (small hands lol), with a good quality/price ratio.

i used to be strictly nikon fan, but i'll take any suggestions.
    thank you! ;)

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Welcome to the forum.

The main problem with 99.9% of 'point & shoot' style cameras, is that they have a tiny little sensor...which is mainly why the produce noisy images. So I suggest you look for a DSLR that you can learn and grow with.

3. Joves

Joves No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well Im in the Dslr camp as well. You will get better performance and, more versatility, especially as you aquire better glass. Which glass is the only draw back, it will devour large sums of money. When looking for a Dslr go to the store and, hold the various models in your hands and, see which fits best for you.

4. dancerxot

dancerxot TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    woah, the quick replys! i went to the store and handled a nikon d60, and it was great. i don't want to be cyber-stoned for asking which brand/camera/dslr i should buy so i'll hit the search boxes and google and see what i can find.

thanks! (suggestions are still open though ;) )

5. schumionbike

schumionbike TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    get a DSLR, since you have an interest in photography, a cheap DSLR would definitely be worth it to you. The key thing about DSLR is that it's much faster than a point and shoot making it alot more fun to use. Since you're gonna be a photography student and you're no beginner, I would look at something like a D90.

6. Josh66

Josh66 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    There are plenty of those threads here if you can't find what you're looking for on google.

Really though, any dSLR will be fine. Get the one that "feels right", they all have pretty much the same features...

7. bhop

bhop No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    If you're going to be taking photography classes, they'll probably require you to have an SLR anyway.

8. adolan20

adolan20 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Yeah that's a good first dslr:confused:

9. PhilGarber

PhilGarber TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yeah, if you really like small, there's the 4/3's system out now (ie; the Lumix G1 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panasonic_Lumix_DMC-G1). It's a DSLR that's the size of a P&S. The drawback there is that not many lenses out for the 4/3's yet. If you want a wide variety, I'd suggest going with any of the major company's for DSLR's (Olympus, Canon, Nikon, etc) and stick to normal DSLR's. I own a Canon Rebel XT and love it. It was only $450.00 USD at B&H for a body and lens. Only problem is that it's discontinued now-you can only buy it used (far as I know).

Also, if you haven't already I'd strongly suggest subscribing to Popular Photography mag (http://www.popphoto.com). It's an amazing all around photography magazine and regularly tests DSLR's. They've also got a buyers guide for lenses and body's on their website.

Phil,