Simple Power

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by Jeli, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Jeli

Jeli TPF Noob!

[​IMG]
    This is one of my favorite photos. I love the symbolism of power and authority conveyed through something as simple as grass.

2. chroix

chroix In Latin it's "spikius conius thingonius"

Did you tone it? The highlights are kind of dark and that makes it look kind of flatter than it would with more contrast.

3. Vmann

Vmann TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I think I would up the contrast. Its hard to identify with the subject it all comes across flat nothing really pops off the page. Great DOF I just wish I could make out the grass a little clearer. I would watch the white in the leafs also they seem to draw your attention in a little more than the grass does.

4. jadin

jadin The Mad Hatter

I think it's possible to convey power through something such as grass, but I don't think you achieved that just yet. It might for someone who has the same opinion as you, but if someone doesn't agree, or maybe doesn't realize it, they won't see that from this image. They will only see 'grass'.

When I think of power of nature I think of a tree crumbling a cement sidewalk. Perhaps grass all but covering a sidewalk. Or maybe grass turning a dead tree into soil. That would convey power.

Just my thoughts.

5. chroix

I'm with jadin on this one. it doesn't say power to me. the grass pokes through and is obviously weighed down by the leaves.to me the leaves look like they have the power and authority..

6. SLOShooter

SLOShooter TPF Noob!

My attention is on the the leaves and not the grass because they're lighter, and bigger, and the grass just doesn't pop out to me. I totally agree with the contrast comments as well, the image seems very flat with not much tonal range. DOF is good though.

One think I thought of, is that you might have a different feeling about this photo because you saw the entire scene around this little window into the past, therefore your feelings about it may be radically different than ours, the viewer. For us, all the information about this scene is right in front of us and to me it's not extremely powerful.

7. Jeli

Jeli TPF Noob!

Thanks everyone for your comments.
    I haven't done much work in photoshop, other than resizing or dust-spotting, so I wouldn't know how to change tone or contrast. I do agree with you that the light leaves are a bit overpowering.

When I said power and authority though, I didn't mean the grass as a whole. I meant that one specific blade that reaches above the rest, and the other blades either are too short, or are bent half-way up the stalk. When I first saw the print, it reminded me of subjects bowing to a monarch. That's just me though.

8. chroix

Photoshop: under image...adjustments.. curves (Command+M), levels (command+L), brightness, contrast etc. You should dig into it. Its a powerful tool to help finish off the raw product.

"it reminded me of subjects bowing to a monarch" wow! I want some of whatever you've got....

9. Jeli

Jeli TPF Noob!

Cool, thanks. I've never really had the motivation to delve into photoshop myself, probably because it's such a daunting and intimidating program. I've been considering forking over the $200 for a set of classes on it, but don't know if I could get the same results out of a instructional book I can get for $40 at Barnes & Noble.

:/