Simple Vices

PetersCreek

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have diddly for a studio right now but I decided to set up a still life of a couple of my favorite vices.

SimplePleasures.jpg

Post processing (Paint Shop Pro 9):

The background was sharper than I liked so I applied a gaussian blur. Notice that the background visible through the glass is much sharper. I tried to hit that selectively with the softening tool so I wouldn't lose details in the glass but could only go so far with that tool. It looks as thought the glass is acting as a lens. I'm not sure if that's a distraction or point of interest.

Since this was set up out in the garage (I don't smoke in the house), the air wasn't still enough to get the silky ribbon of smoke I'd envisioned. So, I added that on a new layer. Just a few light gray lines scribbled with a smallish brush, smudge and softened, with transparency tweeked down until it looked right. It fooled a smoker of these fine cigars so I think it was pretty successful.

Finally, I ran it through Soft Focus with settings for a mild effect.

Not bad overall I thought, even though I definitely want to revisit the subject to fix a couple of things. I don't like the background at all but it was the only thing handy at the time. I'd also like little more light on the spine of the book. Perhaps I could reposition the cigar band a little since it's bright white back sided seems to be bouncing a little bit of light there. I really like the reflection of the glass in my eyeglasses but I think it'd be more successful without the outdoor scenery also reflected.

Other comments? What'd I miss?

Here's another interpretation of the same image:

SimplePleasures_bw.jpg

The cigar itself, an Arturo Feuente OpusX, has a near legendary status among cigar afficianados so I wanted to make it more prominent. It doesn't hurt that it also has a very attractive band. I wasn't really going for a "product shot" but it seems to have that flavor, doesn't it?

Again, comments welcome.

Love it...very nice photo. The smoke from the cigar really adds to the shot!

JonMikal said:
the tilt bothers me.

agreed... not so much the whole image but the glass seems to tilt when everthing else looks straight.

I also would say keep it color at least with this image. The sharpness through the glass is more pronounced in the BW.

The smoke from the cigar is excellant. Really lends itself to this image.

It looks like we have some of the same vices. :D

Most reactions

Back