since i can't afford nikon d80...-d50 or d70s?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by idaida, Jan 7, 2007.

1. idaida

idaida TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've spend hours and hours on the internet trying to find out which camera i should buy and every five minutes i think i've come up with the better solution...until i discover something else. i have a Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG Macro APO already for nikon. i want the d80, but it's too expensive, so i figured i'd buy a less expensive house and buy either Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro or (rather) Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC Macro . (anyone who knows where i can get it in europe? it seems too new to be tested by anyone and i can only find the non macro version) my question is therefore this: which camera should i go for? the d70 feels more pro (but might be too heavy and big for my small hands) but doesn't have that many extra features compared to the d50. the d50 on the other hand seems annoyingly adapted to family photograhy. i've looked at the d40, but i don't like the fact that it's only compatible with the newest lenses, plus, i think i read that it lacks some essential functions for other than point and shoot photograpers. if i only had a million dollars...

thanks a lot for any advice!

2. boclcown

boclcown TPF Noob!

I was in the same position as you about a month or two ago. Although the D70s is technically slightly better than the D50, there have been several reviews that point out the D50's (very, very slightly) superior image quality.

3. idaida

idaida TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    thanx a lot i really appreciate it. i'm leaning towards the d50. as for the image quality, i've read the same when i think about it. it's a little smaller too, so i think it will suit me better cause i'm small and i'm travelling between three countries every so often.

4. cosmonaut

cosmonaut No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Beach Camera has D50s for less than 450, and refurbished ones for less than 400. I would go with a cheaper body and expensive glass. It's the glass that gives the quality. More expensive bodies just mean more bells and whistles you could live without...
    Cosmo

5. tpe

tpe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Do not spend money on the body, you will only have to change it when its resale value hits zero in a years time when the turbo powered 24 megapixel superstabablized versions start appearing, spend it on glass instead, then you can use it on whatever body you want at the time.

tim

6. idaida

idaida TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i've actually just put in an order for nikon d50 and i'm about to buy the SIGMA 18-50 f/2,8 EX DC MACRO which should be a good lens for my budget...havn't seen any user reviews of it yet, but it's fairly new, so i'll just have to take the chance.

thanx a lot!:)

7. phil-ray

phil-ray TPF Noob!

ive been useing the D50 for about a year now and im still suprised with some of the pics and the features that it has esp for the money i paid, you wont be disapointed with it

8. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    almost impossible to find any sort of glass today though, which will serve tomorrows 24 megapixel sensors ...

9. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Congrats, you should be quite happy with that camera. I don't think I've seen any reviews for the new version of that lens...but the previous version of the Sigma 18-50 F2.8 got pretty good reviews...so you should be pretty well set.

10. nakedyak

nakedyak TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have a D70s, and I really can't recommend it. It's image quality isn't as good as my old 300D digital rebel was, and camera buttons and ergonomics are awkward...small LCD...lots and lots of noise at ISO 400, unusable really at 1600

11. idaida

idaida TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanx a million, i'm expecting the lens in the mail tomorrow and the d50 the day after, i can't wait to get started:)