Single OCF light source picture thread

Village Idiot

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
If you got it, post it up. Providing info of light type, positioning, and modifiers kicks ass too.

One 580EX II with shoot through umbrella held by Voice Activated Lightstand (VAL) camera left.

I'll contribute-

Last night, shoot-through umbrella/pocketwizard/camera right.

20111004-DSC_7651.jpg

5261656859_f7d283ae63_z.jpg

Two microwaved cd's, a single tungsten clamp-on shop light in my darkened bathroom. Not strobe, but you didn't specify so.... :)

How long did you nuke the CDs for that effect?

original.jpg

This photo needs to be seen in its "original" size, for the correct color profile to come through, since when seen at reduced size, it defaults to some oddball color profile and the colors look all washed out and pale.

This is a single Speedotron Brown Line M11 light unit fired through a Lastolite brand 40 inch Umbrella Box enclosed umbrella which I positioned to deliver some catchlighting in the eyes and a fairly broad shadow on the off side. There is 'some' hint of fill from a 4x6 foot white reflective LightForm panel on a homemade rolling stand, but the amount of fill-in is very minimal because the reflector is at least five feet away from the subject. The shadowed side of the face maintains nice dimensional clues which were lost when I moved the reflector closer,to approximately three feet off to the side. I didn't like the shots I made later, when the reflector was moved closer, to three feet. The Canon "flash" white balance was used,and it's a good match for this umbrella and uncoated flashtube. This image is exactly As-Shot using baseline Auto RAW convesion in ACR with just USM and re-sizing for the web. In this shot,the umbrella is lighting the paper just a tiny bit; I shot this on the short axis of my garage,and didn't use a backlight: I wish I would have used a light to make the backdrop whiter,or shot with the backdrop farther away from the umbrella for at least a medium gray,or darker, backdrop color in the final image. Here's the URL for this umbrella Lastolite Umbrella Box with 8MM Shaft - 40" LL LU3226 B&H

5261656859_f7d283ae63_z.jpg

Two microwaved cd's, a single tungsten clamp-on shop light in my darkened bathroom. Not strobe, but you didn't specify so.... :)

OCF = Off camera flash. But, we can let it slide since your hummingbird shot is the tits.

GAH!!! Thinking fail. Oh well, it could have been a flash!! :D

The cd's only take about 5 seconds to cook the lines in. Once it 'flashes', it's done.

This photo needs to be seen in its "original" size, for the correct color profile to come through, since when seen at reduced size, it defaults to some oddball color profile and the colors look all washed out and pale.

This is a single Speedotron Brown Line M11 light unit fired through a Lastolite brand 40 inch Umbrella Box enclosed umbrella which I positioned to deliver some catchlighting in the eyes and a fairly broad shadow on the off side. There is 'some' hint of fill from a 4x6 foot white reflective LightForm panel on a homemade rolling stand, but the amount of fill-in is very minimal because the reflector is at least five feet away from the subject. The shadowed side of the face maintains nice dimensional clues which were lost when I moved the reflector closer,to approximately three feet off to the side. I didn't like the shots I made later, when the reflector was moved closer, to three feet. The Canon "flash" white balance was used,and it's a good match for this umbrella and uncoated flashtube. This image is exactly As-Shot using baseline Auto RAW convesion in ACR with just USM and re-sizing for the web. In this shot,the umbrella is lighting the paper just a tiny bit; I shot this on the short axis of my garage,and didn't use a backlight: I wish I would have used a light to make the backdrop whiter,or shot with the backdrop farther away from the umbrella for at least a medium gray,or darker, backdrop color in the final image. Here's the URL for this umbrella Lastolite Umbrella Box with 8MM Shaft - 40" LL LU3226 B&H

^^^^that umbrella may be the answer to my question of how do i get softer light without hassling with putting a softbox together everytime I get somewhere to shoot but still be softer than a bare umbrella? Derrel does the light fall off super-fast like a shoot-through umbrella? is there anything i need to mount a SB-600 with it, other than universal adapters i already have that hold a flash and umbrella on a light stand?

Single speedlite, camera left on a monopod held by model's husband. Bare flash.

IMG_0370.jpg

rusticwatermark.jpg

Setup like this:

rusticsetup.jpg

bowen1-1.jpg

Setup like this:

bowensetup1.jpg

^^^^that umbrella may be the answer to my question of how do i get softer light without hassling with putting a softbox together everytime I get somewhere to shoot but still be softer than a bare umbrella? Derrel does the light fall off super-fast like a shoot-through umbrella? is there anything i need to mount a SB-600 with it, other than universal adapters i already have that hold a flash and umbrella on a light stand?

Fall off isn't a result of the modifier. It's the distance the light source is from the modifier.

Zack Arias has the best illustrated example of this I've ever seen:
I've moved the blog –> zackarias.com/blog » White Seamless Tutorial :: Part 3 :: From White To Black.

Fall off isn't a result of the modifier. It's the distance the light source is from the modifier.

Zack Arias has the best illustrated example of this I've ever seen:
I've moved the blog –> zackarias.com/blog » White Seamless Tutorial :: Part 3 :: From White To Black.

Thanks for the information and link, I'll study it. I'm brand new to OCF and it just seems when i take two umbrellas out, my shoot through and the regular one with the black backing on and same settings same flash, the shoot through is significantly less light for me (unless I about move it against the subject). I haven't made as far as the studio and advanced studio lighting courses at school yet.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back