Single OCF light source picture thread

6229009746_412abd633d_z.jpg

one flash head in a Large 3X4 gridded softbox camera left right beside model and a bare flash camera right with barndoors behind a large 22 inch grid pointed directly at model at around 45 degree.

Last edited:
oohh snap, i though i was in the multiple. wtf.

there ya go,

1 vivitar 285hv at 1/4 or 1/2 in a 24X24 softbox camere right close to model.

5840885633_398e43ec84_z.jpg

If this is a single flash camera right, how did you manage to get the hair light on the top left of the model head / body? Or does there just happen to be a beam of natural light comming in..?

there ya go,

If this is a single flash camera right, how did you manage to get the hair light on the top left of the model head / body? Or does there just happen to be a beam of natural light comming in..?

there ya go,

You are right. A beam of light was coming in but you dont see them in the picture. The ceiling of that warehouse is about 20-30 feet high. If you look closely in the background, you can see the stairs going on a second level plaform at the back. There is 3X6 (approx) windows all around that place. The windows beam were hitting the floor all along the other wall but you dont see anything because of the angle i took the shot.

I balanced my flash and exposure to use the available light and this is IMO the only way you can manage to shoot with a sigle flash without getting flat looking pictures.

here another shot from the same shoot. noticed how the hair light is warmer? gotta love sun light :)

5851055918_5ff63a743a_z.jpg

Ohh ok. I figured it looked warmer than the light from a flash but I seen no other signs of a natural light source.

This thread is great. Lighting and advanced lighting are my next two classes at the university, and I hope afterwards I'm able to turn on my flashes and pocketwizards and at least be halfway where you guys are.

The classes are being conducted at George Salmon's studio in Tampa instead of at school. George Salmon is the instructor and known and respected around here for his photography for 40 years, and he specializes in advertising and commerical accounts today.

Many say school is useless for photography, but I haven't taken this opportunity for granted. I don't plan to give up my techie career for photo's at my old age, but as a hobby this thing is a blast.

Last edited:
Nice, I was hoping some car/motorcycle pics would appear.

Sorry for all the selfies, but that's all that was available when starting off with lighting.

One bare SB600. (I want to recreate this look with multiple lights at some point for better separation and definition.)

799867190_u63XP-XL.jpg

SB800 in a reflective umbrella.

858749647_tWwSZ-XL.jpg

Bare SB600 aimed at wall.

613423869_VAPvE-XL.jpg

SB800 in a Lastolite 24x24" EZYbox

886858255_yTzw7-XL.jpg

This thread is great. Lighting and advanced lighting are my next two classes at the university, and I hope afterwards I'm able to turn on my flashes and pocketwizards and at least be halfway where you guys are.

The classes are being conducted at George Salmon's studio in Tampa instead of at school. George Salmon is the instructor and known and respected around here for his photography for 40 years, and he specializes in advertising and commerical accounts today.

Many say school is useless for photography, but I haven't taken this opportunity for granted. I don't plan to give up my techie career for photo's at my old age, but as a hobby this thing is a blast.

Those who say school is useless are obviously idiot savants.....

One bare vivitar 285 camera left

311095_2214733962485_1071635590_2441616_822957393_n.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back