Sisyrinchium 'Quaint and Queer'

mooimeisie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This perennial is new to my garden this year. It is a dwarf relative of the Iris and the little flowers are just under 1/2" in diameter. They grow amongst a tuff of grassy leaves and close up during cloud cover or the hint of a setting sun making the only time to shoot them is in the bright sun. All photos were taken with a Sigma 105mm and underexposed by 1 stop. I've started experimenting taking flowers at different f stops and these are 2 I liked. The aperature was chosen on purpose and the shutter speed was chosen to deliberatly underexpose the photos.

#1 f/11 1/100 sec
3640319706_a7992111dd_b.jpg

#2 f/2.8 1/125 sec
3639510059_18eed95538_b.jpg

#1 is fantastic. I love the darkness at the top left hitting the bright flower, and sets off the green leadinig line bringing you down into the image. The tip of the petal on the upper right looks a little blown, but not bothersome to me in this.
Can I get a print of that? :sexywink:

#2 does less for me, but I do like the simple background color, which keeps you focused with the flowers. The yellow stamens help lead your eye back and forth between the flowers.

Nice work!

#1. Awesome. I love the clarity, sharpness and tone.

#2. Awesome, but not as cool as #1. I like where your focal plane hits though.

Fantastic work, get it out of the beginner's forum!

#1) Cut the dead flower so that the cut will not be noticeable, use something to get a solid background like a nice brown or green piece of fabric (cheat), and watch the hot spot on the upper right petal,.. then have a nice canvas gallery wrap made :)

#2) The DOF is too shallow and there is nothing to keep my attention, and it has a couple of hot spots.

If you can, use something to defuse the light, and use a tripod (if you are not already) to compensate for the slower shutter speed that you will need for the defused light.

You definitely do not belong in the beginners section.

Thanks for all the nice comments. I think I'll try the flower again in the morning (thanks to workshare I have the day off) and try not to blow out the hightlights. I'm not sure what this means "defuse the light" since I was only using sunlight.

As for a beginner. I've only had a DSLR since Feb. Once in awhile I get a luck shot.

I'm not sure what this means "defuse the light" since I was only using sunlight.

By "defuse the light" I meant try placing something in front of your subject to reduce the amount of light that is hitting it. You can try a thin white bed sheet, or the semi clear plastic sheets that are used to hide florescent lights in kitchens (and other places), they cost about $3 at Home Depot.

I'm not even going to try saying the name (I guess?) of this flower...

The first one is awesome.

:thumbsup:

The 2nd shot is my preferred image in a way that is dreamy, soft and artistic

The first shot has that touch of "ageism" to it but it is not in keeping with my floral philosophy :)

Most reactions

Back