Six bucks a month

Good points, "time and new learnings" are a lot less important than TV, play station and sitting at Starbucks and I had totally forgotten about that. Free and easy...That's where it's at! I'm gonna go get my Hundred bucks back:)
Nope, not all of us have succomed to what the majority of society thinks is important.

What is important to me are my kids. I spend 8-10 hours at work, then come home to a home cooked meal prepared by my lovely wife, help the 1st grader with homework, go outside and play with the kids after the homework, and by the time all that is done, there is very little time to get ready for work the next day, get some stuff around the house done, etc.

When you are getting a good home cooked meal every night, means that someone is home to do that which makes it difficult in today's world for that $100 per year to come up with.

$6 a month is another roll of film! ;-)
.....or it is a trip getting into work and halfway home one day without putting the fuel on a credit card.....

I have several gigs of webspace plus several gigs of bandwidth. I pay about $80 a year and I get 3 domain names too.

I have tried Flickr and Picassa and smugmug but I didn't like any of them.

My business plan currently gives a CD/DVD to clients rather than doing any printing. Thus I don't actually need to host images.

Where are you getting unlimited storage and unlimited bandwith? Normally the providers that give you a ton of bandwidth and a ton of storage forget to give you a ton of reliability and a ton of customer support.

Plus my webiste doesn't have local groups where me and my closest 250+ friends can share photos and ideas...or it doesn't have an international group based on a huge blog with nearly 30k members with tons of resources for information on flashes. And it also doesn't have pro photographers hanging out on it and despensing free advice.

I'd say Flickr has my dinky little webpage built there...

I'm with Host Papa and have been for well over a year. No reliability issues and fast 1-800 support. If you sign up for three years it's actually $66.00 per year.

I also use my own webspace for photo hosting... as long as you're just using it as a server, there's no need to even learn html, but it's always a good skill to have ;)

Good points, "time and new learnings" are a lot less important than TV, play station and sitting at Starbucks and I had totally forgotten about that. Free and easy...That's where it's at! I'm gonna go get my Hundred bucks back:)

That's not very fair to say at all. I have a career, a family life, 2 kids, both in sports, social life and a house to run. What's Starbucks? TV and Playstation? Who has time for that.
I know so many people that are dumping their paid for free sites like Smugmug and Flickr and why not? If it's for photosharing and not a business, why the heck not?
Ever hear of Etsy? So many people are ditching their websites or redirecting their domains for free pages there as well.

For the average joe who just wants to share pictures and easy upload, flickr, shutterfly, etc is perfect for them. But for those who want to showcase their gallery/portfolio with some flash, then having their own website is definitely the way to go.

That's not very fair to say at all. I have a career, a family life, 2 kids, both in sports, social life and a house to run. What's Starbucks? TV and Playstation? Who has time for that.
I know so many people that are dumping their paid for free sites like Smugmug and Flickr and why not? If it's for photosharing and not a business, why the heck not?
Ever hear of Etsy? So many people are ditching their websites or redirecting their domains for free pages there as well.

I agree with the 'that's not very fair to say at all' sentiment.

I've been using photobucket (free) for years, and it works well for me. I have a domain name and hosting space, but it has been a struggle for me in the past to learn things well enough to get my website actually constructed.

I do not watch TV and I don't own a playstation. I work three jobs, I'm in college, and I have absolutely no friend that live in the same town as me. The nearest one is 50 mile round trip. Between my friends, my jobs, and school, I am always on the go.

If hosting sites don't work for you, fine, but it's pretty narrow minded to insult those that do use it by implying that they are lazy. You have no idea what other people's situations are.

My apologies for the sweeping generalization it wasn't meant as an insult or directed toward anyone in particular. At the same time had I read the post by someone else I would have just said "that's not me he's talking about" I wouldn't have personalized it and perceived it as an insult...Which it most definitely was not meant to be:)

Most reactions

Back