Size of watermark??

stang96mj

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
What size do you all make your watermarks? Also when cropping should i do it the 16x9 or 8x10 or does it matter? Thanks in advance

For cropping, I would suggest staying consistent. I typically leave mine at 4x6, but you could do 4x5 if you wanted to. I probably wouldn't suggest the 16x9 as it's relatively pointless for prints (things never get printed at that size).

For watermarks, whatever size you want to do. Mine are a set size, but I just did it that way cause I liked how it looks. The thing about watermarks is why you do them. If you are posting here because you want comments and critique I probably wouldn't watermark them, or if I did it would be a small watermark.

For cropping, I would suggest staying consistent. I typically leave mine at 4x6, but you could do 4x5 if you wanted to. I probably wouldn't suggest the 16x9 as it's relatively pointless for prints (things never get printed at that size).

For watermarks, whatever size you want to do. Mine are a set size, but I just did it that way cause I liked how it looks. The thing about watermarks is why you do them. If you are posting here because you want comments and critique I probably wouldn't watermark them, or if I did it would be a small watermark.
The watermark is going on the purchased ones.
Also by doing them in 4x6 they can be printed in 8x10 right? I want to print them in 8x10 or less.

4x6 is the crop ratio, thus a 4x6 can be cropped to 8x12, 16x24 and 20x30 without being cropped.

A 4x6 can be printed as an 8x10, but part of it will need to be cropped in order to fit.

Personally, I wouldn't watermark an image (I'm thinking of how Olan Mills does it) that I'm selling like that, it can be distracting, and it also needs to be a very good logo if you're going to do that (IMHO).

That being said if you are going to watermark it, there's no set guidelines on size, I would probably have it be relatively small, but that's just my opinion. You can check my blog if you want to see an example of what I have for a logo, but I wouldn't sell them with the logo I have on there. It's too big for that.

in watermarks, I do a small clean one for my clients in the bottom corner on proofs I go much larger but depends what your water mark looks like? Lets have a looksy?

4x6 is the crop ratio, thus a 4x6 can be cropped to 8x12, 16x24 and 20x30 without being cropped.

A 4x6 can be printed as an 8x10, but part of it will need to be cropped in order to fit.

Personally, I wouldn't watermark an image (I'm thinking of how Olan Mills does it) that I'm selling like that, it can be distracting, and it also needs to be a very good logo if you're going to do that (IMHO).

That being said if you are going to watermark it, there's no set guidelines on size, I would probably have it be relatively small, but that's just my opinion. You can check my blog if you want to see an example of what I have for a logo, but I wouldn't sell them with the logo I have on there. It's too big for that.
ok, so the ones i have cropped with the 16x9 can i leave them or do i need to redo them all with the 4x6? They willbe printing some in 8x10 also.

I'm a little confused what you're talking about. If you have them at 16x9 you can just crop it to whatever ratio you need for printing. There is no need to crop it to 4x6 and then crop it to 8x10 (4x5).

A 4x6 has a 3:2 aspect ratio. An 8x10 has a 5:4 aspect ratio.

Most dSLR's have a native aspect ratio of 3:2.

So as an example, to get an 8x10 (5:4) from a native 8x12 (3:2) image you'll have to crop 1 inch off of each side.

AspectRatio.jpg

Last edited:
I'm a little confused what you're talking about. If you have them at 16x9 you can just crop it to whatever ratio you need for printing. There is no need to crop it to 4x6 and then crop it to 8x10 (4x5).
I am confused too...LOL OK So I took some pictures. Now I am cropping them BUT I am wanting to know what size to crop them with in my windows photo gallery so that when they print them there isn't any more of the picture that will be cut off. Know what I mean? Then I go to Photoshop and do the rest of the editing.

I am confused too...LOL OK So I took some pictures. Now I am cropping them BUT I am wanting to know what size to crop them with in my windows photo gallery so that when they print them there isn't any more of the picture that will be cut off. Know what I mean? Then I go to Photoshop and do the rest of the editing.
Photoshop gives you many more options for cropping than wpg does.

I updated my graphic to make it a bit clearer, I hope.

Right, all you need to do is decide what size (ratio) you will print them at, and then crop them accordingly. If you want to print 8x10 then crop as an 8x10 (or 4x5 ratio I'm not sure what wpg calls it).

Right, all you need to do is decide what size (ratio) you will print them at, and then crop them accordingly. If you want to print 8x10 then crop as an 8x10 (or 4x5 ratio I'm not sure what wpg calls it).
So if I have cropped them with say 8x10 what will it look like if they print them in 4x6 and vice versa?? Sorry for SOOOO many questions...lol Just trying to get it through my head:D

Most reactions

Back