sk8 night

bitteraspects

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
tumblr_l34jlo5ju11qc42ij

tumblr_l34jb8YI5s1qc42ij

tumblr_l34j3sS8O41qc42ij

First off let me say that im a skateboarding photographer and the trick is just as important as the lighting/ angle, so with number 1 taken early and the fence is distracting, also you should be facing the skater. number 2 the flash is in the wrong spot and your camera is at a tilt also we're looking at the back at him. number 3 could of been better.

First off let me say that im a skateboarding photographer and the trick is just as important as the lighting/ angle, so with number 1 taken early and the fence is distracting, also you should be facing the skater. number 2 the flash is in the wrong spot and your camera is at a tilt also we're looking at the back at him. number 3 could of been better.

first off, let me say that... BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH :lol:

#1, the shot through the fence was obviously done on purpose, to achieve the effect that you call "distracting".

#2, which flash was in the wrong spot? tone camera right, camera left or the one positioned in the BG for the flare effect?

#3... sure it could have been better. hell, all of them could have been better. thats not a very insightful or even remotely helpful statement. especially from someone who claims to be a "skateboarding photographer".

but hey... thanks anyway. lol :lmao:

...let the games begin.

Yea, so anyways.
#1: I take it you wanted the fence to serve the purpose of hinting that you're trespassing, being a badass and creeping on skateboarders then? If not, then I really don't understand the point of the fence either. ;P I at least like that the underside of the skateboard has yellow so I can see it beneath all that black.

#2: Oh, let me guess! The obnoxious flare was done on purpose too? How devious of you! Har har har. :er: It's also soft. Not a really interesting shot, dude's not even doing a cool move. D: It's really more like a snapshot.

#3: Why didn't you delete this? It's not even a silhouette. It does have the potential to be a good photo, but the lighting (or lack thereof!) killed it. ]: I don't know if these were all taken in the same time frame (mins, seconds, or hours apart from eachother) or if it's just the lighting, but maybe you could try shooting at an earlier time before it becomes pitch black? Try reshooting! :)

#4:THE best one! You nailed the lighting here, was this the same night? The only complaint I have is the shadows taking over in-between his jean's legs :lmao: It makes a black triangle..but it's not a big distraction and probably it's just me.

#5: Hmm, I'd think about the composition here. It feels kind of awkward and the flares are killing me! -_-

All in all, I think you should try and take your pictures to be at the standard of #4! You can see the sky and the subject and the lighting was spot on! It's all about capturing details, so get on it! :) We all could use some improvement, happy shooting.:thumbup:

Yeah i skateboard to...and i really find that first shot & 2nd shot are the only ones that aren't to great.

1. The ollie over the 2 decks...snapped it way to early...but board wasn't even tweaked yet.

2nd shot...like dude said...a shot from the back of a skater..isn't really that great.

just my 2 cents.

...let the games begin.

Yea, so anyways.
#1: I take it you wanted the fence to serve the purpose of hinting that you're trespassing, being a badass and creeping on skateboarders then? If not, then I really don't understand the point of the fence either. ;P I at least like that the underside of the skateboard has yellow so I can see it beneath all that black.

#2: Oh, let me guess! The obnoxious flare was done on purpose too? How devious of you! Har har har. :er: It's also soft. Not a really interesting shot, dude's not even doing a cool move. D: It's really more like a snapshot.

#3: Why didn't you delete this? It's not even a silhouette. It does have the potential to be a good photo, but the lighting (or lack thereof!) killed it. ]: I don't know if these were all taken in the same time frame (mins, seconds, or hours apart from eachother) or if it's just the lighting, but maybe you could try shooting at an earlier time before it becomes pitch black? Try reshooting! :)

#4:THE best one! You nailed the lighting here, was this the same night? The only complaint I have is the shadows taking over in-between his jean's legs :lmao: It makes a black triangle..but it's not a big distraction and probably it's just me.

#5: Hmm, I'd think about the composition here. It feels kind of awkward and the flares are killing me! -_-

All in all, I think you should try and take your pictures to be at the standard of #4! You can see the sky and the subject and the lighting was spot on! It's all about capturing details, so get on it! :) We all could use some improvement, happy shooting.:thumbup:

well, ill hold off on the jokes about getting 'critiqued' by someone who was asking what f-stop means not 4 months ago. but lets just say, you may want to at least be up to par before you attempt (however pathetically) to judge.

but... moving forward.

#1: im not sure where you got either of those concepts from, but being such a novice yourself, i wouldnt really expect you to understand the concept of getting the same shot from different angles or using GOBO's.
im sure one day you will get a clue. hopefully sooner than later.

#2: yes, as clearly stated in the last post, the flare was done on purpose in this shot, as well as many others from this shoot. as far as it "not being a cool move" as you so eloquently put it. the second you can do a kick flip, nose manual, hardflip out, i will take your idea of "cool" into consideration.
to those who are actually familiar with skating, the nose manual makes a lot more sense than someone with clearly no understanding of the "moves".

#3: i never once said this was a silhouette. i used the hard lighting to create a contrasting edge light, outlining the skaters body. but again, the use of creative lighting is probably still a very new concept for you.
(and yes, all these shots were taken at at the same time with the same amount of ambient lighting.)

#4: yes... its just you

#5: yet another example of using the flare as an additional element to the shot, rather than just lighting the skater. obviously this could have been cropped or cloned out if i had so chose.

perhaps i should take all my pics to the standard of this

copyycoty.jpg

flat lit cellphone snapshot with elementary processing and brush splatters.

i guess that goes to further make your point

"We all could use some improvement" :lol:

happy shooting.:hugs:

lmaooo woahh old ass photo and wow if you can't take C&C don't ask for it.

I agree with yours though, that was made in impromptu, didn't post it as real 'work', but yeaaa it's major shxt work! :) good creepinggg.
yea, that question was made before I got my first real film slr. [:

Yeah i skateboard to...and i really find that first shot & 2nd shot are the only ones that aren't to great.

1. The ollie over the 2 decks...snapped it way to early...but board wasn't even tweaked yet.

2nd shot...like dude said...a shot from the back of a skater..isn't really that great.

just my 2 cents.

1: this was taken as a 3 shot burst, but it didnt catch him at the peak of the jump. i got him going up and coming back down. this was the better of the two. ideally i would have liked to catch him flattening out over the decks, but it just didnt happen

2: yeah, he went switch on me. i didnt even watch the set up.

thanks for the input bro.

lmao and what do you think? These shots were alll 10s? :lmao:
And I guess you haven't noticed, we're in 2010 not 2009. So try a year a three months :):hug::
but woow, that's ironic cuz I was looking at that thread of mine before i posted here maybe 10 mins before and laughed. and then i see it here.:thumbup: Back when I first got PS, so yea, elementary brushes is pretty accurate!

First shot definitely needed some air. I don't mind the fence, it gives an 'onlooker' feeling.
Like you just happened to be at the right moment at the right time to catch something brilliant, which is why the shot would be 100x better if there were a lot of air, or some spin in the kick.

Second shot; I actually like background flares like that, they can be really nice. I think this one caught in just the wrong place though, it makes it look a bit like he has a glowing star on his head.

And the third is probably my favorite. Just because I don't give a damn about the guy riding the skateboard, I want to see what he's doing with it. Rodney Mullen could dress in a full panda bear suit and I wouldn't care, it's his feet I'm looking at. So I thought it was a good call, basically burning out the skater themselves and keeping the attention on the nose manual. But you left just enough to make out the definition of the person.

The last two, I gotta' say are just a little boring imo. Probably just because it's a still, so I can't see what he did with the stunts. Catching someone doing a darkslide or a primo is a little different, because you take into mind exactly how they got there and what they have to do to get off. But a tailslide/crook/tailbone (Whichever he's doing, hard to tell what point in the grind he's at) it could just be a hop on hop off type of thing. The lighting's the best out of all of them in the one before the last, and I think the final flare works much better than the previous one near the skater's head.

Overall critique; I'd say learn to take critiques a little more positively. Way defensive. No one was insulting you, they were offering general critique.

First shot definitely needed some air. I don't mind the fence, it gives an 'onlooker' feeling.
Like you just happened to be at the right moment at the right time to catch something brilliant, which is why the shot would be 100x better if there were a lot of air, or some spin in the kick.

Second shot; I actually like background flares like that, they can be really nice. I think this one caught in just the wrong place though, it makes it look a bit like he has a glowing star on his head.

And the third is probably my favorite. Just because I don't give a damn about the guy riding the skateboard, I want to see what he's doing with it. Rodney Mullen could dress in a full panda bear suit and I wouldn't care, it's his feet I'm looking at. So I thought it was a good call, basically burning out the skater themselves and keeping the attention on the nose manual. But you left just enough to make out the definition of the person.

The last two, I gotta' say are just a little boring imo. Probably just because it's a still, so I can't see what he did with the stunts. Catching someone doing a darkslide or a primo is a little different, because you take into mind exactly how they got there and what they have to do to get off. But a tailslide/crook/tailbone (Whichever he's doing, hard to tell what point in the grind he's at) it could just be a hop on hop off type of thing. The lighting's the best out of all of them in the one before the last, and I think the final flare works much better than the previous one near the skater's head.

Overall critique; I'd say learn to take critiques a little more positively. Way defensive. No one was insulting you, they were offering general critique.

1: i absolutely agree. however, i have little/no control over his action, so the height wasnt really up to me. also, as you can (kind of) see from the pic, the decks were set up close to the fence. we were working on the short side of the park, so momentum before, and rollout after were pretty limited. anytime they went higher, they overshot it and went into the fence.
were shooting again on sunday ( i think), and hopefully we can try again but with more space to work with.

2: i wanted his head to eclipse the center of the flash, but it was a lot harder to get that shot than i had thought. this was the closest i got. between timing the shot and his changing speeds, i think id need a mk2 N to get the shot i was hoping for.
i thought about burning his head a bit to get more of the contrast, but idk, the shot just didnt work out like i had hoped.

3: im glad you caught that. only thing i want to add is, Rodney Mullen doing fingerflips in a panda suit would be a bit more epic than you give credit. hahahahhaha

4 & 5: i see what you mean. i caught these as a set, and definitely think it works better if you see it as a group of stills as opposed to just choosing one from the group. the last time i did a sequence of shots like this, i wasnt happy with the outcome. (though it was just a simple 'contact sheet' style layout http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4036/4649297970_d4fea7a680_b.jpg ). definitely something to work on.

Overall critique: as i mentioned earlier, i have absolutely no problem with educated critique (like the one you have given), but "nice pic" or "i dont like it" are not educated critique. "#3 could have been better", is not an educated critique. "dude's not even doing a cool move".... far from it.
maybe i come from a different school of thought, where you dont chime in if you have nothing to say.
but i guess thats the nature of a critique. those who cant do, critique. :mrgreen:

either way. thanks for the input, as you actually offered rational ideas, and educated comments.

Most reactions

Back