Skate photography

Ghoste

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I remember reading on another post someone shoots some skating. Me and some friends are going out Sunday and a friend that I'm going shooting with has actually been able to get some shots in Thrasher. But I was wondering if anyone has any tips on what I should do? Thanks.

firstly, you need to find out what format is accepted by the magazine(s) u wish to submit shots to. most commonly, if shooting film then you will asked for slide film. a lot of publications also accept ditial media though as i said before you need to check with format such as pixel dimensions and dpi.

also, shoot as much as possible and keep submitting photos

brian fick? nup but it did sound familar.

I do alot of skate photography mainly to use for advertising for the local park. It works out really well because its just when im skating and one of my friends (or anyone really) does soemthing i just grab the camera and start taking pictures.

Some simple tips are:
Use wide angle/fisheye if possible to get nice and close.
Handrails are best shot from the bottom of the stairs
Tricks on quarter pipes/minis/verts look good either from the platform or on the ground and off to the side a bit
If your shooting gaps youll want to show in the photo where the skater is ollieing from and where they are landing
For flip tricks- try and get it when they are about to catch the board, or when it is halfway flipped.
Make sure your camera will not lag so as soon as you want to take the picture you can.
I can think of more but not at the moment. any questions hopefully ill be able to help

I'll have to find out about the film. But my friends shots were just reg. 35mm B&W photos he developed himself. But I guess he'll know. AJ, Willl, Laz. Thanks for the help. Appreciate it. I'm shooting film until I have the money to buy my 20D =P. So if I can get a decent scan I'll post the pics. Thanks again.

Check out skate perception, also look at skateboardphotography.com (more geared to photog than perception which is a video/post production site)
If you want to get into thrasher... you should definatly shoot slide... but remember, these magasines are huge... they arn't just gonna stick in a photo cos its got someone famous in... the photo has to be good... mess around alot on 35mm until you get good before investing in pricey slide film...

Good Luck :)

Yeah I know, but there is still lots of free content availible, and if your serious about skate photog its worth the 10 euros (like 16 dollars)

Thanks guys =). Yeah I know I'm not going to get some crappy underexposed shot into Thrasher. Just thought it might be a good goal to shoot for. And my friends are really good, so no shots of some lil' kid doing some 3 stair lol. I'll probally end up with some 10 stair shots and some crazy hips.

i do a lot of skateboarding photography and i would definently make sure that you figure out what media the website/magazine accepts.

if you are shooting longlens be sure that the trick looks big enough. even if the trick is big doesn't mean that it will look big when you take the photo.

when you shoot fisheye be sure that you dont chop his head. thats a biggie.

other than that, good luck and i hope you get submitted.

This isnt skateboarding but it is refered to as skating sometimes, but its a photo I took the other night.

christian_bsroyale.jpg

mcbphoto said:
i do a lot of skateboarding photography and i would definently make sure that you figure out what media the website/magazine accepts.

if you are shooting longlens be sure that the trick looks big enough. even if the trick is big doesn't mean that it will look big when you take the photo.

when you shoot fisheye be sure that you dont chop his head. thats a biggie.

other than that, good luck and i hope you get submitted.

You mean big enough as in filling the frame or as in the trick being big enough=good?

Most reactions

Back