Skateboard session photography

ZEPHYR

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I reside in Arizona, But I don't "live" here
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hola, anyone have extensive experience shooting skate sessions? I have a Nikon D300 and I just bought Nikon 10MM2.8 fisheye for skate shots. I have the Nikon SB900 speed flash and the SC-29 off camera flash cable. I am going to start shooting skate session here in Phoenix and I have not shot any thus far.
Any pointers, tips, advice on getting killer shots with the lens mentioned above? I normally shoot models, glam, WEC and UFC fights, so skate session will be a new venture for me. I have many skaters to shoot, why they are not sponsored, I have no clue. So getting some sick tricks on cam will not be hard, I just want that shot that pops.
So any advice is greatly appreciated.:thumbup:

J

I have done just a little bit of this. You hava a much better setup tho.
First off. Dont wear you favorite clothes lol. To get some good shots your gonna need to get down on the ground or in some pretty weird positions. And be prepared to jump/run at all times. If they/when they fall you dont want to get hit with the skateboard or them.

With the flash it may be best to have someone else come with you for the same reason as above. They can hold it for you and get it out of the way if the skater falls. A flash on a stand is an accident waiting to happen.

Hope that helps
-Gian

I spent a lot of time photographing skateboarding. Skateboarding - a set on Flickr
If it's your first time photographing skateboarding I suggest you take some time and get familiar with the motion and movement of the skaters.
Typically you can shoot at ISO 400 with a flash at about 1/125. Set your camera on TV (shutter preference.) To get a good skate photo the shot has to be at the apex of the trick. Once you get familiar with the tricks and movement anticipation is essential. A split second before the apex press the shutter to accomodate any shutter lag. (To get used to the action sometimes shooting a sequence is helpful.)
Another key tip is be in front of the trick. Photo's of the back of skaters are often referred to as butt shots and aren't good. You want to be in front of the action. Go to Thrasher Magazine or Transworld's web site and check out how photos are framed.
Talk to the skaters. Most times skaters love to get their photos taken and will do tricks over and over until you get the shot. Enjoy yourself, if this something you really want to photography - you'll make something happen.

www.grtaylor2.com

thanks for the tips as well i am actually going to be doing this in the summer for some friends of mine in downtown chicago it should be a blast!!!

Most reactions

Back