Skateboard shots

Kevyn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
These are a few photos i took of my friends, using flash and a shutter of around a 20th of a sec, think it's called slow sync flash but can't really remember, C+C is welcome :)

DSC_0093.jpg

gt.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

Kevyn, I like them. I can definitely see that a photo of that style being in a multi-page spread in a skateboard mag. :thumbup:

You should try that when it gets a little darker too -- the flash makes the skater pop out with a ghost shadow following their movement. Make sure you sync the flash to your shutter closing (not opening), so the trails show motion trails correctly, behind the movement.

What ^he said. I like them, but the motion blurred background is too much for me. To me it makes it look like there's just too much going on, too much movement. I'd use a landscape shot and try to head them off so that you don't have to move the camera to keep them in the frame. That way you'll get blur on the skaters (which I do like), but it won't look like you were whirling the camera around.

Kevyn, I like them. I can definitely see that a photo of that style being in a multi-page spread in a skateboard mag. :thumbup:

You should try that when it gets a little darker too -- the flash makes the skater pop out with a ghost shadow following their movement. Make sure you sync the flash to your shutter closing (not opening), so the trails show motion trails correctly, behind the movement.

How do i change the sync to my shutter closing? becasue yeah, i agree that would probably be a lot more effective. if you have any ideas that would be great, i have a nikon D80.

How do i change the sync to my shutter closing? becasue yeah, i agree that would probably be a lot more effective. if you have any ideas that would be great, i have a nikon D80.
are you referring to rear cutrain sync, and normal sync?

That is an option you change on the camera if so.

If you are inquiring about the shutter speed, the D80 has a MAX sync speed of 1/500.

Now I noticed stuff wrong with the photographs.

Sorry to be the grouch, but when shooting extreme sports NEVER cut off any part of the skater.

Nextly, it is hard to tell that you are using a flash. The whole point of using a flash in skateboarding photography is to make the skaterboarder "pop".
In order to do so you must meter the location normally, and then under expose it by say a 1-2 stops. Use your judgement. Then throw in the flash and boom you are good.

Now Timing. Its horrible, I cannot see what tricks he is doing. Watch the skater do a trick once or twice and see when his highest point is during the trick. Grinds are a little bit different, but somewhat similiar concept.

COMPOSITION.
These are all pretty much point and shoot composition. The skateboarders are centered, which often is a bad things but SOMETIMES acceptable. These photos are too "tight" meaning it is too zoomed in. Either take a few steps back zoom out whatever is good. Now the key is to include the landing, and runway if you are at a spot. But since here you shot flat ground skateboarding, I would just try to find a balance of not too much empty space. The whole point is to draw attention to the skater, and the trick.

those are pretty much some good tips.

Sorry for being brutal, but I am being brutal with the intent to help.

Now some other things I noticed... Shooting 20 in broad daylight? goodness why do it? Skate boarding is an action sport, if you can get a fast shutter speed and get a clean crisp shot, why not do it?

Also if you are serious about skateboard photography or action sport photography for that matter you may want to invest in radio slaves, or sync cords, and eventually even more than one flash.

I have some skate photos I have taken, viewable on my flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/skatetogetby/

I hope I have not offended you. Good luck!

I really don't care for the blurred object look in action shots, reminds me of just having a cheap camera...

No chance thank you very much for your opinion and tips, i will definatly try impoving in those areas. next time i go out to shoot, thanks again.

Most reactions

Back