Skateboarding Photos

Derek Zoolander

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I wasn't getting very much luck in the beginners forum so maybe I'll have more luck here. I was pretty excited to share these and didn't get very much response so maybe a more targeted audience will breed more conversation. The general understanding is that if there aren't any comments, the photos are just "eh" and boring. If that's the case, I'd appreciate ideas on how I can make them more exciting. Thank you!

Here are some shots of friends skating at a nearby church. I was going for a dramatic surreal look...thoughts? C&C?

3855876845_bf06e4c679.jpg

2. (This one was out of focus, but thought it worked and almost looked like it was on purpose)
3855875513_1a1a3337dd.jpg

3855869283_47d4a6649b.jpg

3856660964_ba1b337843.jpg

3856655874_6ea4f991ee_b.jpg

3855859639_df32f3ae90_b.jpg

3855863389_a565020a9d_b.jpg

There are a few others here if interested: Jessie + Mike + Skate - a set on Flickr

Any help is appreciated.

ha guess i gave this part of the forum too much credit! ended up getting more responses in beginner after all...

You didn't wait very long, take to much speed today ? j/k :lol:

These dudes have huge veins, wow. #2 pic reminds me of the artist Moby, the baldness maybe. It's your best pose, but the blur doesn't work well, I'd go back and try again.

If I had to pick a favourite, it would be the last shot. The action shots are just the skaters in complete darkness.. Doesn't give any perception of the trick or risk, if you know what i mean? Keep it up, look at skate mags and study the pics for composition and ideas.

I really like number 6, would be even better if he was facing into the photo rather than out, but that's the only complaint!!

I think HoboSyke has a point though, it would be nice to see some kind of surroundings in the action shots, but they're great for what they are!!!

Thanks guys. Great points about showing a little more of the surroundings. I was going for the artsy thing, but I think I can still be artsy and show a little bit of the surroundings for perspective. Just need to figure out the lighting...

Thanks again I appreciate you taking your time to comment.

closeups are good, but what the hell is going on with #1 and #6? You really did a bodge job in post with the blacks i don't even know what you we're trying to get at with them

closeups are good, but what the hell is going on with #1 and #6? You really did a bodge job in post with the blacks i don't even know what you we're trying to get at with them

Haha that was actually the look i was going for. And I didn't actually have to do much in post processing. All I did was edit out the steps under him. The rest was pretty much pitch black since I had the flashes so close to him. I'm learning now a lot of people don't get what I was going for. What I was trying to capture was the skater's form and nothing else. Kinda like one of those artsy photos where a girl is just floating in mid air and its completely black around her. Except I was trying to do it to a skater. But apparently not executed correctly or I'm just the only who thought it would look cool.

Most reactions

Back