Skating at the Banks

sublimelbc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Had a ton of fun shooting these, more then skating i think. Please let me know anything you like or dont for that matter. I was really happy with how they came out, give me a reason to be otherwise. It was misting on and off so the lighting was difficult and freezing action became a little difficult.

The are rather typical in that they will probably appeal more to the skaters than the public. I like #2. In #3 the fellow looks like is going to be run over by the approaching truck (even though it is parked.) #4 is askew in more ways than one. #5 shows promise but the background interferes. The remainder are nondescript.

Rusty Tripod

Thanks for the input. I'm a little confused. By askew you mean that you think the different angle/tilt does or doesn't work well?

4 , 5 and 6 are the only images doing something for me.

in 4 it is the nice composition with the extra element of the truck ... but you cut the skaters behind.

in 6 it is obvoius why ;) .. well and i like the background motion blur. would prefer her to be more on the right side since she is skating to the left.

also, seeing less people from behind would be nice ... although i like the perspective in 6 ;)

Thanks for the advice. Does this crop work better?

Also found a few more.

I wish this damn puddle was bigger.

Number 1 is a snapshot no real value unless you were there. the rest are going some where.you have motion and atmosphere in them and you really feel for the guy on the deck.
3 & 4 have got the vote. motion, action imminant danger. it all works. 5 is good with the drain cover and the skater thrown out of focus. BUT the background BEHIND the skater is distracting.
6. A very pretty girl on a skate board... how can you fail ! ! !
try to get her facing you next time. People like to see people facing them in pictures. If you want to crop. A subject needs a little room in a picture to "Breath" about a "Unit" of one from the base of the subject to base of the image. should be given a "unit" of 1 1/2 to 2 at the top.
What is good is that although the pose on the board is very static, her feet are blurred giving the image the only real feeling of motion that is there.

your subjects are very close to the centre of the images. Try to put them off to one side so that it looks as though they are going into the picture (Look up rule of thirds. and remember that although it is a rule . Rules are made to be broken... but only when you understand why thay are made in the first place).

7 is the same. although better placed in the frame.

the next lot are pretty good as well, with the feeling comming over (I know just what you mean about the size of the puddle. A full reflection would have been a gift) . You work quickly, with what you have been given. and you will gain experience. iti s all working well so far .

Hey I liked them...

P.S. She really does have a gorgeous Bum !

Thanks for all the critique, it really helps alot and i've gone over it all a few times. I'm gonna try it again tomm with all of this in mind and im also going to get some night shots in. Its pretty well lit at night and i think i can get some good speed blurs with hte different colored lights. With the longer nightime exposures should i be using a tripod and use it as a swivel?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back