Skin Smoothing... a tutorial?

Yeah I get that there are LOTS of different ways to do it, and ways that can look much better than what I did. However, for this particular shot, I felt the effect was appropriate, and the model loves it. If it was anything other than what it IS, I would feel that it's too much.

I am the FIRST one to scream about plastic models. I hate that look. A LOT. In another shot, I'll learn what's needed for that shot.

I do think the nostrils and the eyebrows are over blurred as well.

And if you do a batch out of it, you can do it faster than 10 seconds with 10 times better result. If you don't know how to create a batch, search the Photoshop help.

I think you mean an "ACTION", not a batch. I have a little over 425 actions that I custom made to suit my needs, so I think I know how.

"Batch" refers to applying the same modifications to several pictures. Actions are predefined series of adjustments made to ONE picture.

I sincerely do not recommend someone create an action and apply them in batch form to a whole bunch of pictures. The results may not come out as well as when given individual attention, even a few seconds worth.

As far as how much skin smoothing to do, we could sit her and argue semantics all night, it would not make a differences. First there is personal taste and second, if you are a professional, your opinion matters little... it is what the client wants that they will get... overdone or not.

As for my preferences... it depends on the individual picture. I want just enough smoothing so that it appears smooth without becoming plastic looking. I am not getting paid for my pictures... often even a simple application of a noise program like NoiseImage Pro will be applied as a layer mask and used to give the appearance of smoothing. It all depends on what the person behind the keyboard wants... there is no one perfect way for all pics.

I do think the nostrils and the eyebrows are over blurred as well.

When done "properly", you will do your skin smoothing over a separate layer and mask it over specific areas. One thing you generally do not want to do is smooth areas like the eyes, lashes, nostrils and mouth. Those need to remain sharp and unaffected by the skin smoothing process.

I think you mean an "ACTION", not a batch. I have a little over 425 actions that I custom made to suit my needs, so I think I know how.

"Batch" refers to applying the same modifications to several pictures. Actions are predefined series of adjustments made to ONE picture.

I sincerely do not recommend someone create an action and apply them in batch form to a whole bunch of pictures. The results may not come out as well as when given individual attention, even a few seconds worth.

As far as how much skin smoothing to do, we could sit her and argue semantics all night, it would not make a differences. First there is personal taste and second, if you are a professional, your opinion matters little... it is what the client wants that they will get... overdone or not.

As for my preferences... it depends on the individual picture. I want just enough smoothing so that it appears smooth without becoming plastic looking. I am not getting paid for my pictures... often even a simple application of a noise program like NoiseImage Pro will be applied as a layer mask and used to give the appearance of smoothing. It all depends on what the person behind the keyboard wants... there is no one perfect way for all pics.

Yes I did mean action, not batch, sorry. But please, you are talking to me like I don't know my Photoshop? I'm a professional commercial and promo photographer and have been using it for 6 years or so. I mean, haven't you read anything I have written here? I haven't seen any of your photos but judging from what you've written in this thread I take it you don't really know what you're talking about when it comes to retouching. You should check out the links I posted. A little practice and your retouches won't look like this anymore.

And Noise Image? You mean Neat Image? Neat Image is for removing noise and that's what it's good at. Using it for retouching is like using mud for makeup. And yes I know some people actually use Neat Image for that and it's just so embarrissingly wrong. I'd rather use MS Paint and the spray can.

Edit: Ok I see now that you're not a professional photographer. Then I guess it doesn't matter if you don't have clients. Oh well. Read the tutorials anyway.

Last edited:
Ummmm, guys, there is as much work and study involved in retouching as there is in photography.

Backs down and eyes up or else you'll miss something important. ;)

Edit: Ok I see now that you're not a professional photographer. Then I guess it doesn't matter if you don't have clients. Oh well. Read the tutorials anyway.

I never said I was, matter of fact it says it in every one of my posts I ever put here clearly that I am not a professional , never said I was, never want to be.

As far as mattering, to me it does matter in as much that I take my hobby somewhat seriously at times. And a point of fact, I am the one that emailed the OP 2 separate and complete tutorials/methods to skin retouching in PS CS made by 2 accomplished professionals.

In the end, it doesn't matter. The only thing to me that matters is that I am getting out of photography what I want.

Next thread.

Thanks for the links Rabieshund!

I agree with Martin completely. I've also said a thousand times before that most tutorials on the internet for skin smoothing should be avoided like the plague, particularly if they include blurring steps. The only time blur is OK is if you're blurring a color channel in Lab color, but if you're advanced enough to be doing that then the blur itself is a moot point.

In any event, I wouldn't settle. There are a great many other subjects in photography where people make the same argument: that the results of some quick and dirty technique are adequate, or acceptable, or enough, etc etc. The truth is that in nearly all cases those people don't know what they're looking at, and so they settle because they don't know better. I don't think there's ever really a time when "good enough" actually is good enough. Unless you're hard-pressed for time and so is your client, I don't see any excuses for cutting corners. Remember that even if your client thinks your work is good enough, the people they show it to may not. I get tons of requests on MM from models who want to shoot with me, and a number of them have sub-par portfolios. But their port constitutes "good enough" for them. So if I think their port is mediocre and I give them "good enough," aside from the fact that they haven't really gotten a whole hell of a lot out of working with me, everyone else who sees their port will think I'm a mediocre photographer. So always put out your best. If you don't, you're going to attract clients who only want to pay for "good enough." Besides, Ryan, you have a copy of PS. I personally think it's silly not to use it.

I agree with Martin completely. I've also said a thousand times before that most tutorials on the internet for skin smoothing should be avoided like the plague, particularly if they include blurring steps. The only time blur is OK is if you're blurring a color channel in Lab color, but if you're advanced enough to be doing that then the blur itself is a moot point.

In any event, I wouldn't settle. There are a great many other subjects in photography where people make the same argument: that the results of some quick and dirty technique are adequate, or acceptable, or enough, etc etc. The truth is that in nearly all cases those people don't know what they're looking at, and so they settle because they don't know better. I don't think there's ever really a time when "good enough" actually is good enough. Unless you're hard-pressed for time and so is your client, I don't see any excuses for cutting corners. Remember that even if your client thinks your work is good enough, the people they show it to may not. I get tons of requests on MM from models who want to shoot with me, and a number of them have sub-par portfolios. But their port constitutes "good enough" for them. So if I think their port is mediocre and I give them "good enough," aside from the fact that they haven't really gotten a whole hell of a lot out of working with me, everyone else who sees their port will think I'm a mediocre photographer. So always put out your best. If you don't, you're going to attract clients who only want to pay for "good enough." Besides, Ryan, you have a copy of PS. I personally think it's silly not to use it.

Ok. I can dig what you're saying... really I can.

But then, how do YOU smooth skin?

Hey everyone!! Im new to this forum (First post). This thread cought my eye. Im no where near a pro but hope to be good at it some day. The links above that showed how to blur with Gauz and High pass is sweet. First time I have seen that and I think im going to use that in my work flow. The image below I touched up real fast and isnt prefect. Please share any suggestions!
dsc0190tpe3.jpg

Last edited:
Ok. I can dig what you're saying... really I can.

But then, how do YOU smooth skin?

In RGB,
I remove any obvious imperfections with the healing brush set to 0% opacity and 2-4% flow. The rest I'll do with a combination of healing and painting, paying careful attention to preserving and accentuating highlight and shadow areas. Any area that becomes too monotone will look flat. It really comes down to the smoothing of lines, pores, and imperfections as opposed to eliminating them. That's one crucial distinction that automated "solutions" like the Nik smoother thing are unable to make. Another distinction is specificity. I can't think of any time when, for example, I'd want to do the same thing to an eyebrow that I would to a cheekbone. That's a distinction blur doesn't make when applied globally. Even applied locally, blurring is really an inappropriate tool. Smoothing skin doesn't necessarily mean softening. The best skin retouchers can make flawless skin that's tack-sharp.

And remember, always start with great makeup.

Most reactions

Back