SL1 meets 430exii

Discussion in 'Canon Accessories' started by zacharyleroy, Nov 2, 2014.

1. zacharyleroy

zacharyleroy TPF Noob!

So, I bought the 430EX ii after being told my SL1 had wireless capability, which unfortunately it does not. It's a great flash for $300, but not being able to use it for what it's made for, I'm questioning keeping it.

Thoughts, ideas? Is there a similar flash for less money that isn't wireless that will give me all the other options?

Thanks.

2. pgriz

pgriz Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Depends on how you wanted to use the flash. If you were going to use it off-camera, and are prepared to set the power settings manually, then a pair of cheap radio triggers will do.

If you want e-TTL metering, and your "off-camera" distance was less than about 2 feet, then you can use a flash extension cable that will in effect "extend" the hot shoe functionality the length of the cable. Most extension cables are designed to be relatively short, connecting the camera with a flash that is mounted on a bracket.

For third party flashes, there are options like Yonguo as in Amazon.com : Yongnuo YN-560 II Speedlight Flash for Canon and Nikon. GN58. : On Camera Shoe Mount Flashes : Camera & Photo Personally I have no experience with them, but I believe there are lots of TPF members who do.

3. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Before buying the flash unit you could have easily verified what you were told about the SL1 having a wireless flash capability by reading your SL1 user manual.

But as pgriz points out, there are inexpensive 3rd party radio triggers and other 3rd party solutions that will work with the 430EX II.
    I have experience with the manual only 460 II and 560 II Yongnuo flash units and they are worth their low cost.

It is a lot easier to learn how to use manual flash control than it is to learn how to use Canon eTTL flash control.
    An excellent resource for how to use Canon speedlites is:
    Speedliter's Handbook: Learning to Craft Light with Canon Speedlites

4. centauro74

centauro74 TPF Noob!

Fyi, Sly is making a revision for that book and it should be out before February.