Slave flash setup

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by dtlasky, Oct 11, 2007.

1. dtlasky

dtlasky TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I recently polled you guys on which was better, the sb-400 and the sb-600. I have decided on the 600 for two reasons WIRELESS out of the box and for the extra power it has, my question for you guys is what do i need to use my sb-600 as a slave i thought you could remotely trigger it with the my d40's on board flash but im not sure. Do i need a commander such as the sb-800 or other decive?

any and all feedback is appretiated.

DPT 852productions.tk

2. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

I do not know about your camera specifically but you will find a world of information in your instruction book.

3. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The D40 has no commander mode on it's flash, I am not sure about the D40x but I assume this is the same. That does not mean wireless won't work. You should be able to set the SB-600 just like the SB-800 into SU-4 modus. In this mode it will react to any flash. And this works with any camera. I have used the SB-800 wirelessly with an Olympus point and shoot.

The downside is no flash control on the camera, you need to set the flash manually, no TTL so manually means setting the power manually, and the flash unit on the camera also needs to fire enough to trigger the flash. That means you can't set the camera not to fire it's interal flash but only to dramatically underexpose when it does. This should still work and produce very acceptable results.

4. Patrice

Patrice No longer a newbie, moving up!

I think, from reading the specs, that your d40 popup flash can not be used as a commander. Maybe someone that has that camera could jumpin here.

edit: this question was answered before I could press 'submit'

5. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Don't despair yet. I'm not familiar with the D40 and don't know if the built-in will act as a commander. However, I have read throught this forum that you can get some fairly cheap and fairly reliable remote triggers off e-bay for around $30-40 USD. They're no Pocket Wizards, but apparently they are good enough. Do a search on TPF and see what you get, there's been a few good discussions I've read. If that works out for you, you will have fun with the SB-600.

6. SpeedTrap

SpeedTrap TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The D40 will not act as a wireless comander to any of the Nikon Flashes, Only the D70 and up can control the Flash wireless without any extra hardware. But as noted above you can use a pocket wizard.

7. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Photos OK to edit
    This is where you have to make a decision. The 600 goes into standby after about a minute and you then have to trigger it with the Hong Kong units before taking a shot. This is only a problem if you take that long between shots. I have not noticed this with my Sb28 and it could be because the 28 has a PC connector (where I connect mine to save wear and tear on the units plastic foot ;)) and the 600 doesn't.

The decision is; do you want iTTL while the flash is on camera (fill flash, of camera iTTL with a cord and a frame and so forth) or is it worth more to you to be able to use the flash whenever you want without worrying about whether or not the flash will go off while it's on a stand.

Be aware that an Sb28 /28dx will work on a Nikon DSLR (later than a D100) in auto mode. They are not as consistent as an iTTL flash but work fairly well and work very well in manual mode.