Sleeping Devotion

Bear

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
1-11.jpg

Sleeping Devotion

After his surgery (wisdom teeth) he had to take vikadin, which put him to sleep, but then he also had a gig a few days from then.

What do you think? Crit away!

Sorry, he looks peaceful but this is a miss.
The cropping is too tight and gives a coffin-like feel while the composition is awkward; the guitar neck going one way, his body another.

No, I liked it. Why is so important composition? In this photo I like the "mood" - peaceful, soft light, contrast...very nice.:)
About crop - for me its ok. Nothing like coffin like feel...

Oooh

2 completely different opinions! neat. Keeep em comin!

Traveler, I was afraid of this, but because I was I took the pic in a way so that I could crop it a ton of different ways. Perhaps later tonight when I am able I will try a different, loser crop. My problem there is the window, more and more of the super bright window is going to show the more I losen the crop on the top of the photo.

Honestly I am not too sure what to do with the cropping other than widening the pic further to the right, giving more space between his head and the end of the pic. NE suggestions for cropping?

When I first saw this, I was SURE it'd have been because of the way-too-bright window on top that you cropped it in the way you did. And I much like the LIGHT that this window gave you, which outlines his face and arm and guitar in the way it does. So I feel that the situation was way too precious to let it pass without taking the photo.

And I am one further person to say: what is wrong with the composition if the guitar points in another direction than his body? He had held it like this and fell asleep ... would you want to go take it off him and turn it for composition reasons?

I quite like the chiaroscuro effect of this photo.

So I feel that the situation was way too precious to let it pass without taking the photo.
Would you want to go take it off him and turn it for composition reasons?

Not all 'precious situations' and relaxed poses end up as good pictures..

So this is it? Is all you have to say is that you don't like it and that it may be peaceful, yet no good? Please give suggestions on how the pic could be better. Just telling me that its bad and that you dont like the composition doesn't really help me. I know you know what you would have done, now what is it? Enlighten me. There is no point to this if I learn nothing.

Seems silly to get tripped up on the position of the guitar. Afterall, the subject is not about to play it.

Tight crop seems necessary with the bright window above.

I like the shot. No, I wouldn't purchase a copy to hang on my wall, but, I don't think that would surprise Bear.

Unfortunately, Bear, a few folks on here don't understand this idea. IMO.

So this is it? Is all you have to say is that you don't like it and that it may be peaceful, yet no good? Please give suggestions on how the pic could be better. Just telling me that its bad and that you dont like the composition doesn't really help me. I know you know what you would have done, now what is it? Enlighten me. There is no point to this if I learn nothing.

I wouldn't really want it on my wall either. I know its not the best, its not even my best to date. But, I did feel that it was a neat pic that was different than most other I have take.

Please keep posting. Bash! Praise! Look! Glance! Educate me! and please, do enjoy it :)

A visual orgasm of color, light and emotion.

As abraxas said, the interesting elements (face, hands, guitar) are too close to the distracting elements (burnt out sill) and too small in the picture to really make anything out of it. It also looks like his forehead, bottom lip, top of his hands and top of the guitar are burnt out so there's no detail if you were to crop really close.

The most efficient way to learn composition is to look at successful pictures and look at yours and try to pick out where they differ. Perhaps even read something. Demanding one on one tutoring for every picture will wear people out.

Unfortunately, Bear, a few folks on here don't understand this idea. IMO.

As far as this comment, read my signature and find someone who can translate Latin.

I know composition and I have studied it, but also know that it is not the be all end all. There is no need to be condescending.

The window sill I do not like, but by far do not think it ruins the shot. Now the position of the guitar? cmon...do you know a better way to play the guitar than perpendicular with your body?

The "sad story" should have been kept to myself. The picture should say it all and I will most likely not add caption again.

Saying the composition is poor and telling me to study is poor in itself. Forums are here to help each other learn, grow, educate, and entertain. Perhaps a link to a place to read about it, a book, some pics to study...even though I do have a firm grasp on composition (whether this pic demonstrates any of this or not) I would have appreciated it and most likely taken advantage of your offerings.

Now that I have been a lil stubborn butthead :)

Thanks abraxas, you helped me see the problem with adding a caption :)

Sorry about that Traveler. I edited my post before I seen your reply or I would have kept it. FTR, I pretty much agreed with you.

Im not trying to demand one on one tutoring, sorry if it came across that way. But a kick in the butt towards a good direction would have been more helpful than "its bad".

When it comes to me having to read something, do u have ne to suggest? thats what im lookin for

I did ask you guys to "crit away" so please don't stop.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back