Sleeping Newborn

Christie Photo

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.christiephoto.com
Having recently been inspired by another photographer who shoots newborns while they sleep, I decided to try my hand at it.

Comments/critique invited.

Thanks!
-Pete

IMG_4690.jpg

IMG_4711_2.jpg

IMG_4726_1.jpg

IMG_4758_1-1.jpg

:lol: I wish I could sleep that well.

Here's my thoughts:
I love the pose on #2, but maybe needs a bit more contrast? I don't know.
Good composition and lighting on #3, but I'm not sure bout the plant hanging basket as a baby prop...hmmm.

Good shots in all...
(I have a newborn shoot coming up shortly too.)

~Rebecca

Great images as always Pete! My favorite is 3...well done!

I love the idea and the lighting in the 3rd one, but I think the props need a bit more tweeking... The chains on the basket seem too harsh compared to the baby and cut into the pose. Keep at it!

Oh yes. Very nice.

#3 is definitely the best imo. Except I would have moved the subject a bit more to the right. It seems a bit off balance the way it is.

I like #1 too. He/she looks cocooned.

#2 leaves me a bit cold. Either the lack of enough contrast or the furry blanket.

#4 could have been beautiful but the blue/purple thing. Another earth tone thing would have been better, I think.

How was the session over all? And what technique did you use to get the baby sleeping?

Thank you all for the comments and feedback!

How was the session over all? And what technique did you use to get the baby sleeping?

Overall, it went OK. It took some time. We worked about two hours and I wasn't satisfied. We couldn't get the wee one to sleep, so I put a bit of wine in her bottle. Really, I asked them to come back the next day and we did another hour and a half. That day she came asleep and stayed asleep. I was really amazed how much we could move her... pose her without her waking.

The plan was to come right before her usual nap time and make sure she was well fed. I warmed the camera room to about 82° F.

I set up the scene, got the lighting close, and then quickly refined it once the baby was placed into the set.

Thanks again!
-Pete

Great stuff. 3 is the best for me, although I enjoy them all.

I hd a newbor session last week. Showed up during what we though would be nap time, stayed for 3.5 hours, and baby was awake the entire time. Just as I was about to leave, she fell asleep! Too bad I was 2 hours from home and couldnt do a reshoot the next day.

These are very nice. Who doesn't like to watch a newborn sleep? The poses/props are clever but I am in love with #1. How sweet is that?

Most reactions

Back