Slide and Negative Scanners

danielblester

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
ive needing to purchase a negative, slide scanner and i was looking around my budget is around $500 from what i have read and looked at the Nikon Coolscans are pretty much top of the line and are way out of my price range. During my research i ran across the EPSON V700 which at this moment is what i think i will go with. Anyone have any suggestions to a different scanner or anyone have any experience with the V700? im needing to scan in tons of 35mm slides and negative's in a timely fashion. any advice will be much appreciated

Depends how much quality you want outta your scans....

Dedicated neg scanners are the way to go and can be had in your price range if you don't mind shopping the 2nd hand market.

I use a Minolta DiMage Scan Dual III and got it for $185. The IV version can be easily found in the $300 range.

If i could have spent more (about your budget max. or maybe a bit more), i would have bought a Minolta DiMage Elite 5400 II (i prefer Minolta color renditions and IQ emphasis).

They are fast-ish and the resolution capability is amazing. I've seen scans and simply couldn't believe how incredible the images were. Granted, PP can do alot, but you have to have something good to work with.

frank

I've got the Nikon Coolscan 5000 ED and love it. I believe the Coolscan V ED (is right around $500 and is an excellent scanner. Very close to what I have it just doesn't support some of the accessories the 5000 does.

Just got my Coolscan 5000ED connected tonight. Ran about 4 slides so far. It is a bit better than my Epson 4990pro. I have a sunset photo that nearly looks the same as the slide. Once I figure out the setting better I will do a comparison between the Coolscan and the 4990 flatbed. See if it was worth the extra bucks.

Hey danielblester,

Since the Nikon's CAN be had in your price range, i completely agree with airgunr and benhasajeep. If for no other reason than b/c the Nikons are still serviceable and really give superb results. I am jaded b/c i simply enjoy Minolta colors and having an "all-Minolta" line-up.

Do yourself a favor and search/check out some of the flickr film user groups and you will definitely see some beautiful Nikon scanning images. The flickr groups can be a wealth of info!!!

When i was researching dedicated neg scanners the 500/5000 Series Nikons were on my "short list" too, but were more than i could commit at the time. Now, well i'd still choose Minolta (remember, i'm a fanatic!), but truth be told a Nikon could do just as well and/or possibly better.

Enojy your search and film photography too!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back