Slide film

Discussion in 'Film Discussion and Q & A' started by fightheheathens, Oct 19, 2006.

1. fightheheathens

fightheheathens TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I was reading another topic about how now days when you order a print from slide film, it is done by a digital scan then print.

My question is twofold.
    question the first, can you make an optical print from a slide.

question the second, how is an optical print made from a slide?
    my best guess would be that you use the slide to project onto color paper and make a color negative. then do a contact print. but i dont know if this works from color.

I ask this question because i have recently found out that the university of California Berkeley offers public art classes and included in that is a class on color developing and color printing. (I believe this includes e6 process)

ps. Im excited that im gona have access to a very nice printing dark room :)

2. cosmonaut

cosmonaut No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm sure you can. They did it years ago before scanners and computers. I don't know the process though.......
    Cosmo

3. niccig

niccig TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I know the process is called Ilfochrome (formerly called cibachrome) but I don't know anything about how it works, and I'm too lazy to look it up :) It's something I"m interested in too, though

4. j_mcquillen

j_mcquillen TPF Noob!

Click here for some descriptions of exactly what cibachrome (or ilfochrome) is...

I get all my slides printed up large on cibachrome, and they look fantastic - deep, rich colour, accurate to the original slides, and (according to all the tests) will last more or less a lifetime without fading...

5. ladyphotog

ladyphotog TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    It is an R-3 process and there are very few around nowadays. The digital printers can print from a slide and do a pretty good job, no where near what the old chrome prints did but not too bad. There is a place in NY that does beautiful true chrome prints but they are expensive. It is called iChrome Editions 866-820-0722

6. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    back in the day..... I had a friend who owned a kis one hour lab. He sent me all his slides to make inner negs.... That was also one of the ways it was done. But the type r and cybachrome were more colorful. The question about using cybachrome as a paper negative even came up once Hertz I think said he had seen that done.

7. fmw

fmw No longer a newbie, moving up!

I used to do it personally with inter negatives. I would simply photograph the slide in a slide copier onto negative color film. The problem with the process is that it builds contrast - lots of it - so you learned to pre-flash the negative film to cut back on contrast. The inter negative could then be printed like any other color negative.

Cibachrome was a better process but expensive for a photographer so almost everyone used the interneg. Makes you really appreciate what you can do with digital imaging.

8. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have some larger prints from slide film. However these were processed by a lab some 7 years ago. Now idea what the process was, but the prints look very slide-like in terms of colours and contrast. Whereas prints from negative, which I shot in the same light, same location, always were a problem for me (when processed in a lab wher you cannot influence anything). That was actually one of my reasons to migrate to slide: Lacking my own lab, only via slide film I could actually get the proper contrast and colours.

Nowadays, scanning from slide film and digital prints yield virtually the same results ... IF a good scanner is used.

9. Philip Weir

Philip Weir TPF Noob!

Sydney, Australia. The land of peace and sunshine.
    I would have to agree wih you, but the better method is to use Kodak or similar interneg film, which has a lower contrast ratio and I always contacted the films together so as to not lose any quality, or at least as little as possible. Using anti newton glass is a must.

10. mysteryscribe

mysteryscribe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    and of course to most people here from the digital generation that translates "quack quack quack quckity quack."

11. ladyphotog

ladyphotog TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

12. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Right on. :headbang: