slide show help

duke44jb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
My parents are celebrating their 40th wedding anniversity. I am trying to put together a photo slide show to be presented on a projector. I have hundreds of old 4x6's and 3x5's that i am going to scan for the slide show. I just went out and bought an Epson Perfection 4490 Photo scanner. I plan on creating the slide show on Roxio Easy Media Creator 7 and burning it to a DVD. I am then going to play it on a laptop, through the projector. The projector is nothing special and i'm not sure of the specs. We use it at work for power point presentations.

My main question is: In order to keep the pictures from being blurry when the are projected, what DPI/resolution should I scan them at?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!!

I'd say scan them in at the resoultion that they will be output at (most likely 1024x768 ). If possible, try to get there before-hand and calibrate it so that it looks great without you having to fiddle with it too much while everyone is waiting for it to start.

thanks for the reply. Also, should i save the files as a jpeg, tiff, bitemap, etc???

I would save them as JPEG, for quality it's one of the best image formats and is universally accepted by most graphics and multimedia programs. If there is a setting for it and you can afford the extra disk space it will take up reduce the JPEG compression to retain quality.

My parents are celebrating their 40th wedding anniversity. I am trying to put together a photo slide show to be presented on a projector. I have hundreds of old 4x6's and 3x5's that i am going to scan for the slide show. I just went out and bought an Epson Perfection 4490 Photo scanner. I plan on creating the slide show on Roxio Easy Media Creator 7 and burning it to a DVD. I am then going to play it on a laptop, through the projector. The projector is nothing special and i'm not sure of the specs. We use it at work for power point presentations.

My main question is: In order to keep the pictures from being blurry when the are projected, what DPI/resolution should I scan them at?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!!

What they said...

Here's something I've never done (YET!), but wanted to do, over the years when we watched old home movies. (tick, tick, tick, tick...). Start a tape recorder, before you show the slide show. I don't know if you are including background music? But anyway, start a recorder and record the reactions to the slide show. Sometimes you'll get some fantastic comments and comentary that you would never have had. Later you can mix it back in to the slide show, for future generations. "Oh look, that's the place we stayed on our Honeymood, remember sitting by the dock..." "Oh that's Uncle Harry, remember his rhubarb pie"

If you are selecting music and it's not going to be hard to find it, email me if you want some help, you might find some hit songs from 1967 and play them low in the background for period mood.

1967, I just got old fast. Let's see, no problem, Beatles and Stones, the Turtles... were popular in 67! (and I was playing in rock bands)

Most reactions

Back