Slides/Negatives to Digital format

kevwhite79

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,

Family members have a huge number of slides and negatives that I would really like to organise into a digital library. Is there a cheap/efficient but affective way of doing this?

We had a slide scanner but it was painfully slow and quality wasn't great.

Is there any equipment that you could recommend?

Thanks in advance.

I've moved your thread from the Alternative Techniques forum over here, since this is an equipment-related question. :)

i sympathize with your issue.
i too have MANY pages of negs from college photo classes, and the slide scanner IS painfully slow.
i still shoot film, and when i have them developed, i opt to only have the film processed, and images placed on a CD. the resolution is decent, and it;s cheap and i dont have to worry about doing it. that;s the big plus.
i was thinking of trotting down to my local bargain conglomerate that rhymes with ball-smart, and ask them if they can take my pages of negs, and scan them to CDs. should be about $2.50 a CD.
if the resolution isnt high enough for a big print, i always have the option of rescanning the single neg myself at 2400dpi, and enlarging it.

ill keep ya posted.

The Microtek Scanner scans 12 colour slides at a time with excellent quality.

skieur

Regarding teh Microtek Scanner, I have several questions.
Once the negatives are scanned into your computer, can a digital photo image then be created from the negative? Does one need special software to do this? How much $$$$ are we talking about here. Does the Microtec work with Macs?

Theres a neg scanning place, that does it for really cheap, i read about it in popular photo i believe it was, the guy said he was a bit wary at first, because it was based out of india, but he sent in a ton of negatives and they did an amazing job, worth taking a look at as they do them for cheap.

I wouldnt recommend the scan at wally world, i dont know about them specifically but i used to get scans from target, and the quality was AWEFUL, like unusable awful.

As far as the microtek goes, i checked out the website, their scanners look to start at around 300 and go up to 1500 or so. And they say they are mac compatible.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back