Slideshow Music for a Redneck Wedding

Then I guess you wouldn't care if people started stealing your photos and reposting them as their own or making money from them right?
You did not just make that comparison. It's not the same and you know it, because

a) He wouldn't be claiming the songs as "his own"
b) It's easy enough to give credit where credit's due
c) He's not selling the slideshow

You did not just make that comparison. It's not the same and you know it, because

a) He wouldn't be claiming the songs as "his own"
b) It's easy enough to give credit where credit's due
c) He's not selling the slideshow

Ok, I'll give you that one. It was too early this morning when I responded.

Then I guess you wouldn't care if people started stealing your photos and reposting them as their own or making money from them right?

Why the hell ayone would want my pictures is beyond me, but I would be flattered for someone to think that highly of them or my so called attempts at photography. :lol:

Yes using my pictures in a slide show would not bother me at all. why would I care. I dont care if you make a big sackfull of money from it either.Good for you,mabye if I wanted all the money I could make a slide show.

Just make the dang slideshow and all will enjoy.Mabye if it makes it onto the emmy's or you make a million then they are gonna want a piece of the pie.

Just out of curiosity, what if he used music from his CD collection, made the slideshow and uploaded it to youtube for all to see.

If there was no financial gain, would that still constitute an infraction?

Depends where... in the USA or Canada? Yes, I would believe so. Something similar... a waitress brought in her CD to work so she could work while listening to her CD... she was not the only one listening to her CD. People who did not pay for the rights to listen to her CD were (restaurant patrons). A surprise talk to a lawyer and 10 min later she had the radio playing.

She bought the rights to listen to the CD... not to share it with the world.

Why the hell ayone would want my pictures is beyond me, but I would be flattered for someone to think that highly of them or my so called attempts at photography. :lol:

Tell you what, you make some self-portraits and I will steal the pics, add a few moustaches, add a few derogatory sexual remarks to them and post them on YOUTUBE. I bet you would be offended then, yes? Its the same basic idea just grossly simplified... I am taking something that belongs to YOU and abusing it in a manner that is wrong and without your permission. THIS is what you seem to be condoning. ;)

It's less about money (in most cases) and more about doing what is legally and morally correct.

The key question is: what are you doing with these slideshows? Just keeping them for fun? Giving them to the couple? Publishing them on YouTube?

Does it really matter?

If YOU were the artist, and were walking down the street and saw a photographer's wedding slideshow on a laptop that a young couple were enjoying using your music without your permission, would you be pleased?

Not likely (I know I would not be). You would be thinking to yourself why is your music was being used without your permission and how often was it being "stolen" by this person on how many other slideshows... and if not, you should be. There are near no grey areas here, its pretty black and white in terms of legal and moral issues. Most artists do not make albums to get credit, they do it for profit. In this case, a photographer is making a profit using someone's music without permission and not compensating that artist in any manner. Legally, thats known as copywrite abuse... another way this is known as... is "theft".

Last edited:
Does it really matter?

If YOU were the artist, and were walking down the street and saw a photographer's wedding slideshow on a laptop that a young couple were enjoying using your music without your permission, would you be pleased?

Not likely (I know I would not be). You would be thinking to yourself why is your music was being used without your permission and how often was it being "stolen" by this person on how many other slideshows... and if not, you should be. There are near no grey areas here, its pretty black and white in terms of legal and moral issues. Most artists do not make albums to get credit, they do it for profit. In this case, a photographer is making a profit using someone's music without permission and not compensating that artist in any manner. Legally, thats known as copywrite abuse... another way this is known as... is "theft".

I don't think he's selling the slideshow, but even if he's giving it away it's still copyright abuse. If it should happen to be uploaded to youtube or somewhere else on the web and the wrong ears hear it. It will lead a trail right back to the photographer.

I think though that the point has been made here. You can only tell people so much. He will do what he wants to do, whether it's the right thing or wrong thing.

Depends where... in the USA or Canada? Yes, I would believe so. Something similar... a waitress brought in her CD to work so she could work while listening to her CD... she was not the only one listening to her CD. People who did not pay for the rights to listen to her CD were (restaurant patrons). A surprise talk to a lawyer and 10 min later she had the radio playing.

She bought the rights to listen to the CD... not to share it with the world.

Tell you what, you make some self-portraits and I will steal the pics, add a few moustaches, add a few derogatory sexual remarks to them and post them on YOUTUBE. I bet you would be offended then, yes? Its the same basic idea just grossly simplified... I am taking something that belongs to YOU and abusing it in a manner that is wrong and without your permission. THIS is what you seem to be condoning. ;)

It's less about money (in most cases) and more about doing what is legally and morally correct.

I have done that!!!!!!!!!!!!:lmao: didnt put it on youtube but did make a nice picture of my friend with a fake wang in his hand. Was some seriously funny stuff to.

I see yalls side, but seriously doubt that any band would care if you included their music into your slideshow.

Now where is the dead horse I am gonna go beat the crap outa it.:D

I will stop using the music and stop doing the slideshows until I can find something out about the music situation

~Michael~

I used to deal with this copyright issue on a daily basis in producing training videos for the military.

Best thing to do is get your own production music. It's a lot cheaper than dealing with someone's lawyer - especially if they want to make an example.

Lots of production music out there that's not financially prohibitive.

I've used www.music2hues.com www.digitaljuice.com (they have stacked music where you can delet the instruments you don't want) and www.stock20.com

Best to play it safe.

Most reactions

Back