LittleMiss

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello.

I am about to buy my first D-SLR and I have a few questions about the lens. I am purchasing a Nikon D90 from eBay from a top seller. They have a package deal for $899 and it comes with a Tamron 28-80mm lens. I am wondering if that is a decent lens or if I should go w/ the package they have for the $959 kit with a Nikon 18-55mm lens.

I honestly don't know the difference in lenses and, being new to buying these, I am not sure what would be a good starter for me to figure out exactly what I want to photograph. Right now, I shoot everything, but I only have a point and shoot Nikon. I have used my friends Canon Rebel plenty of times and decided I wanted my own.

These are the best priced auctions with brand new cameras I have found. Are either of these good lenses or should I start off with something else like a 50mm or a 18-105mm?

Thanks in advance for the help :)

I don't know if the tamron is a better lens than the nikon but the range of the lens 28-80 might be more useful than the nikons 18-55. I had the nikon lens and it was good glass for the buck. If you want a little more reach I would pick the tamron kit.

I am not a Nikon man, but I would recommend the 18-55, the wide angle will be nice.
I think they possibilities from the 18-28 far outweigh the possibilities between 55-80
Plus you could always pickup a lens thats 28-153ish later.

You should look into Canon, I just bought a Canon 50d with a 28-135mm USM lens, slightly used for $900.

Well, I would have to say either the 18-55 or 18-105. the 28 is going to start you closer than you may want.

If this is your first venture into on-line camera purchases, I would suggest to have a look at B&H, Adorama or Photo4less (yes... I've used them) because they are top-notched on-line retailers with great customer service, reasonable prices and credible return policies. It could be just a personal thing, but I don't trust Ebay for more than $50 purchases.

I bought into Nikon for their glass and have yet to be dissatisfied.

I would tend to avoid the 28-80. When I first started out, I even found that 18mm from my kit lens wasn't wide enough at times.

I am not a Nikon man, but I would recommend the 18-55, the wide angle will be nice.
I think they possibilities from the 18-28 far outweigh the possibilities between 55-80
Plus you could always pickup a lens thats 28-153ish later.

You should look into Canon, I just bought a Canon 50d with a 28-135mm USM lens, slightly used for $900.

Honestly, I dislike Canon lol. My friend had a Rebel and just upgraded to the 7D and I am not a huge fan. I have always been a Nikon fan.

If this is your first venture into on-line camera purchases, I would suggest to have a look at B&H, Adorama or Photo4less

I will def. check them out. I am buying it tonight so i'm making my decision soon. This seller has good feedback and has sold quite a few of these D90's and people are happy with it so i'm going to give it a try if I don't see anything on these sites.

Either way, thanks guys! I am not going to get the Tamron lens and stick with one of the Nikon 18mm ones - unless anyone else can recommend a good starter that isn't any of the ones listed.

I purchased the brand new D90 w/ the 18-55mm Nikon lens and it came up to $883. I can't wait!

Any other lenses that anyone can recommend for me to purchase in the future?

50mm 1.4 or 1.8

Good choice, where did you buy from?
N.gif

I actually haven't bought it yet. I was looking to also buy them on eBay but i'm waiting on the camera first and will buy them in the next few weeks.

i'm glad you got the kit lens (18-55)... its actually a really good lens IMO, especially if youre just starting out. I agree with the others, I'd get a 50mm 1.8 prime... I hear you can't beat the quality for that kind of price.

You are probably going find out quickly that you will want a higher zoom... i bought the 55-200mm DX zoom for my D40x and was quite pleased with it. (although, now they have a 18-200mm that would have been VERY convenient!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back