Slightly Embarassing question...

~Stella~

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
OK, I've now got a camera with manual settings, so yay. However, I'm afraid to use them and unfortunately (or not) the camera has done really well on auto, so I haven't had a burning desire to use manual settings.

This is what I have (didn't pay that though!): http://www.6ave.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=PANDMCFZ50BK

I've tried with the manual focus with varied success. Everything else scares me. :blushing:

I have a couple photography books that I'm about to drag out and read again, but where would you suggest I start. I'm taking baby steps here!

Read the manual and learn where your manual mode is and how to adjust shutter speed and your aperture, if you dont want to adjust both of them you probably have TV or av mode, practice in these too, you have a basic knowledge of photography and when you need to do what once you have figurd out those setting you can play with manual focus.

wow that is embarassing...

just kidding :). We all started somewhere. When i first got my SLR i refused to move it off auto or program mode. Have fun with it, go out one day and set the camera on manual and dont allow yourself to take it off. Read your books and everything else you can and just practice and explore these settings. Learn what you can do and what you have problems with. Then work to understand your problems.

You will get it :) Best of luck

Just Play around, take a pic, adjust the settings, take another pic, adjust them again. keep playing until you understand them and then youll feel more comfortable

Pick up the book UNDERSTANDING EXPOSURE from Bryon Peterson, things will start to fall into place faster for you after reading that. ;)

Read your manual... no use understanding aperture if you do not know how to change it on your camera... lol

People seem to think that manual mode is a magical mode that will give you great photos...once you figure out how to use it.

In reality...there is no difference between a shot taken in manual and a shot taken in auto...as long as the settings are the same.
Even when shooting in manual, you don't have to pick settings out of thin air or remember anything complicated. The camera still has a built-in light meter. In the auto modes, the camera just follows the meter but in manual, you adjust the setting yourself...but you can still follow the meter.

These modes are all about setting the exposure...and the exposure value comes from the light meter. So to truly understand what is going on...you need to understand the light meter. In most cases, the meter does a pretty good job of giving you settings that are pretty good...but it's just a machine, it doesn't know what it's looking at...just the level of light. It always assumes that your scene is middle tone (18% grey)...and it gives you settings for that. But if you scene (or the part of it that you meter off of) isn't middle tone...then your settings won't be ideal. You need to be aware of that and maybe adjust the settings as needed.
In the auto modes, you can use EC (exposure compensation) to add or subtract exposure from the meter reading. When in manual mode, you don't have to use EC...you just have to watch your meter and adjust the settings to be over, under or at the zero mark on the meter scale.

Even with all that...you are the photographer...and if you want to over or under expose the image...that is your prerogative.

Metering, as a topic can be quite involved...so that is something to read up on. There are different methods, like using a grey card or a hand held meter.

wow that is embarassing...

just kidding :). We all started somewhere. When i first got my SLR i refused to move it off auto or program mode. Have fun with it, go out one day and set the camera on manual and dont allow yourself to take it off. Read your books and everything else you can and just practice and explore these settings. Learn what you can do and what you have problems with. Then work to understand your problems.

You will get it :) Best of luck

You want fear? I bought my first SLR before automatic was invented! I even had to manually stop down the lens before pushing the shutter button.

Just start twisting & turning, & clicking, & snapping, then wondering... how did I do that?
Well thats all the fun!

we were all where you are......all of us. Take it a little at a time. You'll find that the more you learn, the more you'll want to try...then the more there is to learn........and be yourself with the camera..

I've tried with the manual focus with varied success.
I can't quite tell from the link provided, but previous to my 20D, my digital camera was not an SLR and I had to manually focus it either on the LCD in the eyepiece or the LCD screen on the back, and it was very very tough. Everything looks in focus on a small LCD screen, but when you put it on your computer, it can vary anywhere from great to absolutely shocking. Plus the Fujis manual focus was using buttons, not adjusting a focus ring, and it had a lag in it, so it was a royal pain in the neck.

Timmeh

You want fear? I bought my first SLR before automatic was invented! I even had to manually stop down the lens before pushing the shutter button.

hehehe.. I have a camera that requires you to..

) Decide that you want to take a picture and decide on an exposure
) Set the shutter on the camera 1/500 being the fastest
) Set the aperture set ring on the lens.
) Turn the front lens ring to open up the lens
) Pop the waste level viewfinder... focus
) Bring the camera to eye-level and frame through another viewfinder.
) Turn the front lens ring to stop the lens back down to the preset aperture
) and trip the shutter.

I actually find my self enjoying this camera more than the fancy gadget enriched cameras of today. Its liberating.... I can't tell you how many times I forgot to stop down the lens.. heheh lol

No one should be embarassed for asking a question .. especially in the beginnner's place.
My only pet peeve are posts that are pointless (that don't ask question or spark discussion)....

LOL, i pulled out my grandfathers old cameras and had no idea that thing could take photos :).

A poloroid that looked like a box with springs that came out to hold the camera. I got a kick out of it... Will have to post photos of it later and maybe learn how to use.

Pick up the book UNDERSTANDING EXPOSURE from Bryon Peterson, things will start to fall into place faster for you after reading that. ;)

Read your manual... no use understanding aperture if you do not know how to change it on your camera... lol

Agree with JerryPH. I am new at photography and just got this book on Wednesday, So far it is great read, easy to understand. I can't put it down. I am even taking it to work any chance i get a read a little. Then at night when i get home i grab the camera and try to do what the book says. it is easy to read.

AussieTimmeh, this one has a ring thing you turn and on the lcd screen it has a.....um...smaller box that shows you very close up what you are looking at. It doesn't seem difficult - I think I just need more practice.

Most of my photos, involve small, rapidly moving, human targets, so manual anything seems intimidating. Maybe I should start with something less wiggly. :lol:

I found it easier to learn on Manual shooting mode first, then move on to TV and AV modes. Auto and Programme modes only give you what the manufacturor wnats you to see things. Stuff that. See what you want to see.Play around with Manual mode shooting. Look what the meter tells you and go from there. It's not that dificult. Good luck.

Most reactions

Back