Slow cooking, new tech for old style

Watchful

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My wife was asking about a new slow cooker, since her old one is not very attractive anymore, it works, but she was wanting a newer type that is programmable.
I spent the morning reading reviews of everything from 39.00 to 350.00 price ranges and came to the conclusion, they are all junk now.
The ones with a stoneware pot get hairline cracks from thermal shock if they are not treated perfectly at all times, and with kids, what is ever treated perfectly?
The metal non stick ones tend to peel in time and leave bits of toxic ptfe in your food and your system.
I noticed the trend towards induction plates and stainless steel pots for slow cooking, and I realized we have an induction stove that is fully programmable and is extremely energy efficient and precise.
So we are now doing out slow cooking on out induction stove that I bought her a couple years ago at Thanksgiving to make the dinner for the family.
The induction cooktop is awesome and very precise and with the Le Creuset cookware I got for her she is doing slowcooking with extreme precision (she can maintain a temperature within a couple of degrees for as long as she wants) and loves the style and look of her set up.
It boils water on it's highest setting in less time than the high power microwave oven does, and it will melt and hold chocolate without scorching on it's melt setting.

Slow cookers are great but the as you say, the quality just isn't there any more. I have noticed that a lot of newer ovens have a "slow cooker" setting on them.

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk

Welcome to the 20th Century, what took you so long?

21st century, but who's counting?

No, if you just started then it's still the 20th century.

The 20th century ended and it is now the 21st century, you might want to fact check. :)

He's saying you finally made it to the 20th century, not to the (current) 21st.

First, I know very little about slow cookers/slow cooking. Second, we usually don't cook via slow cooker. We only use it a few times per year.

The wife and I were gifted a Cuisinart one. It has the insert that we can take out and wash separately from the base. While it says dishwasher safe, I don't think we've put it in the dishwasher many times. It usually just gets hand washed.

That said, it works good enough for us. Has high, low, simmer, warm settings and a timer. If you treat it like you should (i.e., don't throw it around, don't try to wash it in cold water after just turning the darn thing off), it should last a while.

My wife was asking about a new slow cooker, since her old one is not very attractive anymore, it works, but she was wanting a newer type that is programmable.
I spent the morning reading reviews of everything from 39.00 to 350.00 price ranges and came to the conclusion, they are all junk now.
The ones with a stoneware pot get hairline cracks from thermal shock if they are not treated perfectly at all times, and with kids, what is ever treated perfectly?
The metal non stick ones tend to peel in time and leave bits of toxic ptfe in your food and your system.
I noticed the trend towards induction plates and stainless steel pots for slow cooking, and I realized we have an induction stove that is fully programmable and is extremely energy efficient and precise.
So we are now doing out slow cooking on out induction stove that I bought her a couple years ago at Thanksgiving to make the dinner for the family.
The induction cooktop is awesome and very precise and with the Le Creuset cookware I got for her she is doing slowcooking with extreme precision (she can maintain a temperature within a couple of degrees for as long as she wants) and loves the style and look of her set up.
It boils water on it's highest setting in less time than the high power microwave oven does, and it will melt and hold chocolate without scorching on it's melt setting.

I bought a Cuisinart MSC-600 for the wife and she loves it. With our careers, we find this cooking vessel very handy. We buy one every couple of years but usually ask for one for Christmas. This one was the first one we bought in a long time. It is the best one yet. Do not have a clue how good it is compared to others, all I can tell you is it is much better quality than we have ever had. It wasn't cheap as I recall and the only reason I bought it was because I had $100 Kohls cash to use up before it expired and the need.

I want to say it was close to $300 at the time of purchase and Amazon confirms the retail price. I think in the end, I paid around $100 with it on sales and the use of the Kohls cash. I can not visualize myself paying any more than that for a crock pot.

First, I know very little about slow cookers/slow cooking. Second, we usually don't cook via slow cooker. We only use it a few times per year.

The wife and I were gifted a Cuisinart one. It has the insert that we can take out and wash separately from the base. While it says dishwasher safe, I don't think we've put it in the dishwasher many times. It usually just gets hand washed.

That said, it works good enough for us. Has high, low, simmer, warm settings and a timer. If you treat it like you should (i.e., don't throw it around, don't try to wash it in cold water after just turning the darn thing off), it should last a while.
If you like pulled pork here is a simple recipe. Get a pork loin roast whole from the local butcher or mega mart. Rub it with your favorite rub or just some salt and pepper and let it sit for an hour, no more than twelve hours in the chill chest. Put the pork loin in the bottom of your cold slow cooker crock. Pour in one 16 oz. bottle of your favorite root beer. You can use any soda you like, I prefer root beer. Dr. Pepper is also very good. Cover, turn to low for 10 hours and walk away.

10 hours later carefully pour off the liquid, reserving 1 cup of liquid just in case you want to add it back in. Pull the meat if you like or just shred roughly by hand in the crock. Add 1 teaspoons of liquid smoke per pound of meat and your favorite bbq sauce. Stir in well, pile high on you favorite bun, top with pickles and or coleslaw if you like Memphis style and eat.

I bought a Cuisinart MSC-600 for the wife and she loves it. With our careers, we find this cooking vessel very handy. We buy one every couple of years but usually ask for one for Christmas. This one was the first one we bought in a long time. It is the best one yet. Do not have a clue how good it is compared to others, all I can tell you is it is much better quality than we have ever had. It wasn't cheap as I recall and the only reason I bought it was because I had $100 Kohls cash to use up before it expired and the need.
That was the last one we purchased after our old Crockpot finally died. Works fantastically and is easy to take places like family get togethers.

If you like pulled pork here is a simple recipe. Get a pork loin roast whole from the local butcher or mega mart. Rub it with your favorite rub or just some salt and pepper and let it sit for an hour, no more than twelve hours in the chill chest. Put the pork loin in the bottom of your cold slow cooker crock. Pour in one 16 oz. bottle of your favorite root beer. You can use any soda you like, I prefer root beer. Dr. Pepper is also very good. Cover, turn to low for 10 hours and walk away.

10 hours later carefully pour off the liquid, reserving 1 cup of liquid just in case you want to add it back in. Pull the meat if you like or just shred roughly by hand in the crock. Add 1 teaspoons of liquid smoke per pound of meat and your favorite bbq sauce. Stir in well, pile high on you favorite bun, top with pickles and or coleslaw if you like Memphis style and eat.
Thanks for the recipe!

No problem. It's a great way to enjoy pulled pork when there is 2 feet of snow on the ground.

Most reactions

Back