SLR cameras..

juju86

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So i got my first slr camera a pentax one yesterday and theres so many buttons and new things about it that i have to learn.. and right now it feels like im never gonna be able to use it:-( seems alot more difficult than what i thought... how long did it take for u guys before u felt comfortable with the camera and how to use it.. can i teach myself or should i go on some course?:(

Read the manual and start in auto mode - you only need to press one button to get started. What model is your Pentax? While it gives you a lot of options you don't need to know everything from day one.

The internet is a very good place to look for tutorials; you can certainly teach yourself but if you have the opportunity to take a course it will be a great learning experience.

Start simple, take lots of pictures.

It's a pentax K10D. And im just so unpatient hehe. Takes so long to learn!

So i got my first slr camera a pentax one yesterday and theres so many buttons and new things about it that i have to learn.. and right now it feels like im never gonna be able to use it:-( seems alot more difficult than what i thought... how long did it take for u guys before u felt comfortable with the camera and how to use it.. can i teach myself or should i go on some course?:(
The first camera I ever owned, that was my own was a Pentax K110D. I'd read enough on DP review about the buttons and menu's over the week or two before i could afford it that the moment I picked it up I felt comfortable with the buttons. Everything you need to know about the camera can easily be found in the manual, and a glossary of terms such as aperture and shutter speed can be easily found and explained on the internet, as well as in a book that is recommended often on this site, entitled 'Understand Exposure'.
The camera may seem a bit overwhelming now, but within a week or two you'll be worried about the shots you're getting more than the buttons your pressing, at least, from my experience. Just remember to shoot lots.

P.S.
I found the Pentax budget-consumer cameras to have a better button and L.C.D , menu layout than other cameras, however many things are in shorthand or abbreviated, making it important for you to read the manual.

Hi there! Welcome to your new camera! I got mine and was so flipping excited that I sat on the floor Christmas morning for hours like a little kid with a new toy with a lot of bells and whistles :)

Do exactly what was mentioned before. Start on Auto mode, and learn what all your buttons are for (using your user manual). Once you are comfortable there, go buy "Understanding Exposure" by Brian Peterson. It is recommended to pretty much every beginner on the forum.

I read it and although I am still learning I run about 90% on manual mode (all but when I don't have time to compose a shot -- then I am on P, A, or S).

Good luck!

hehe thanks:) I suppouse I just have to read the manual tomorrow and take lots of pictures:) And hope that I'll learn something:p I'm too tired to do anything today!

I started with a pin-hole camera in high school and then moved to a SLR. The point of the pin hole is to demonstrate that you can take pictures with nothing more than an oatmeal container, tape and a piece of paper.

That said, the SLR with all of it's bells and whistles, will do a fine job in auto and as you learn more, you'll grow in to the other functions. Depending on what you like to shoot, you'll find options that suit your personal style.

Myself, I prefer landscape and macro shots, I use a fair amount of slow shutter speed (long exposure) shots and therefore have to balance that with the proper aperture (F-stop). Again those things will come with practice.

For now, go out and play, shoot shoot shoot, and enjoy yourself.

if needed, go to bookstore and pick up a magic lantern guide..

Its a in depth manual that also gives suggestions on when to use and why to use certain settings.

I would love to go out tomorrow to take landscape pictures but the weather is so bad I think I have to stay inside and just take pictures of things in the house:p

I would love to go out tomorrow to take landscape pictures but the weather is so bad I think I have to stay inside and just take pictures of things in the house:p

Ut oh. Cats and dogs beware! They are always my victims when I can't get out, although people tend to get bored with pets, they are good to test on :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back