SLR for Macro, which one to buy?

Rom1web

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,

I just discovered this forum :)

I couldn't find the "exact" answer to my question: my friend is looking to buy a new SLR camera. His main area of interest is focused on Macro pictures, if possible without the requirement of any lens. He has around 400-700€ (250-450£) to spend. Material from semi-pro to pro.
Which digital camera would you suggest him?

Thanks in advance

cheers,

If he is looking into an SLR, he will have to buy a lens. Now they make normal zoom lenses that have a macro mode. They allow you to get a closer focus. But for true Macro where the output is lifesize, you either have to buy a dedicated macro lens or accessories to modify a normal lens to act as a macro.

With his price range and SLR he is definately in the used market. And for digital is the ammount listed probably too low. You listed British pounds so I am guessing you are in Britian. With 700euro you could get a Nikon D-50 or Canon XT and a lens with macro mode. But in Europe with the higher prices and VAT I would definately say he will be in the used market.

Now for a suggestion, I bought a Nikon D-50 for my wife. I already had a Nikon 105mm macro and it works great and she loves it. The body price for a D-50 in the US is down to about $600 at retail stores (demo or repaired ones from Nikon around $500 us). Could get an off brand zoom lens with macro from Sigma, or Tamron for about $200 but that lens would be nothing spectaciular. Again these are US prices and unfortunately the prices in Europe are a bit higher. Although I don't have any experience with it. The Canon Rebel XT will also be in the same price range. Either one would be a good camera. Either one purchased new would be pushing his budget.

benhasajeep said:
Could get an off brand zoom lens with macro from Sigma, or Tamron for about $200 but that lens would be nothing spectaciular.

Actually the Tamron 90mm Macro lens is very, very good indeed. When looking for a lens I would always suggest looking at the offerings from Sigma, Tamron or Tokina, especially if you're on a budget. Other than that, I'd agree you probably won't get a new digital SLR and macro lens for less that £450. As has already been said, look for used ones or display models - Nikon D50, Canon 350D, Pentax *ist DS or DL, Konica Minolta 5D - all of these have been replaced by newer models (and in the case of the Minolta a new manufacturer too!) but all are still excellent 6-8mp dSLRs and will allow you to upgrade the camera body, lenses and accessories as and when you feel the need.

So your friend may be able to get a digital SLR and lens within his budget if he buys used... I guess the question is, is it worth it? Compact digital cameras (i.e. not SLRs) have a limited "macro" mode... has your friend tried these and found that they don't get close enough? Also, has he considered film rather than digital? I know it's not a very popular suggestion these days, but bear in mind that you'll be able to buy an older film SLR and macro lens for much cheaper than the digital equivalent.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back