SLR lense compatability with Digital SLR

thekooliest

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Ok, I am thinking about getting a Digital SLR...I already have three Canon lenses that went with my 2 Canon SLR cameras. I don't want to spend an extra $400 if I don't need another lens, so an I able to use SLR lenses on my Digital SLR.

Are all of them interchangeable? Cause I just saw this, and it sounded like only some of them are. If it is only some, is there a way to find out if my lenses are interchangeable? Also, can I buy a Canon 40D or XSi without the standard lens?

They are my dad's old cameras, so I don't know if they are still on the market, or if you know them...But, Canon AE-1, and Canon T50. Don't know at the moment what my lenses are called, but I know they are made by Canon.

Ok, these use the FD/FL manual focus lens mount.
The Canon Digital SLR's use the EF mount, same as the Canon EOS film camera's.

You will not be able to use those lenses with the newer camera's.
I had the same issue, and sold all my manual focus Canon equipment to go to a digital SLR.

Ok...how much do you think those two cameras and 2 small lenses/1 large lens (not quite sure of the correct term for these) would go for?

NICE, you likely have a very good start on lenses. This will save you alot of money. Welcome and good luck.

Ok, these use the FD/FL manual focus lens mount.
The Canon Digital SLR's use the EF mount, same as the Canon EOS film camera's.

You will not be able to use those lenses with the newer camera's.
I had the same issue, and sold all my manual focus Canon equipment to go to a digital SLR.
And so if I bought this, I wouldn't be able to use my lenses? And, would have to purchase some?

Realistically you'd be better off hanging onto those cameras, the selling value is really low, but I imagine they probably have some sentimental value as your dad's cameras, etc.

Avg Ebay pricing:

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f1.8 lens = $60.00
Canon T-50 w/ 50mm f1.8 lens = $40.00
The larger lens may sell for about the same depending on it's specifications.

And so if I bought this, I wouldn't be able to use my lenses? And, would have to purchase some?

Correct, you will not be able to use the lenses you have from the Manual Focus Canon cameras.

You will have to purchase new lenses ... though most DSLR's come in kits with a lens or two.

Most reactions

Back