SLR or Point & Shoot for quick poses?

Discussion in 'Film Discussion and Q & A' started by mikec, Sep 6, 2007.

1. mikec

mikec TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I'm not a photographer, but I need to take a bunch of those quick pose style shots where the subject keeps moving to try and get a good picture for some DVD covers. Can I accomplish this with a point and shoot 35mm or do I need SLR? Forgive my ignorance... The graphic designer is going to clean up whatever I give her..

2. Don Simon

Don Simon TPF Noob!

When you say the subject "keeps moving", do you mean that you want to capture motion blur?

If so, you will want control of shutter speed. The easiest way to achieve that is probably to use an SLR. You can pick up a used film SLR and one or more lenses for ridiculously cheap now.

3. mikec

mikec TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Well no, I don't want blur. Just for example when you see those pro guys shooting a model in a studio, and she keeps changing the pose like once a second. Quick shots. I'm not trying to be one of those pros but that's what we want to do to hopefully get a good pose.. My question is in terms of sequential speed, one pic right after the next without waiting. We tried to do it with the digital camera but that didn't work because of all the processing time..

4. Don Simon

Don Simon TPF Noob!

OK I misunderstood, thanks for clearing that up.

Obviously to get a good pose what you want is not fast shooting speed but a good pose :wink: ... but if you want fast continuous shooting, then yes an SLR is the way to go. A film SLR that does this will be much cheaper than a digital one. You could get older manual-focus film SLRs with an additional motor drive, or you could get a more modern autofocus camera... look at some options, and find one with high frame rate (fps).

Also note that just because the camera is capable of shooting at high frame rate, doesn't mean it will... you can only really take advantage of it if you can use a suitably high shutter speed. That may mean you need a "fast" lens (preferably with a large max aperture, as indicated by a small f-number, say f/2.8 or lower). It may also means a reasonably fast film (at least ISO 400)... and of course a decent amount of light to shoot in.

5. mikec

mikec TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for the reply =)
    So just to be double clear, I don't want a "point and shoot" 35mm film camera and I do want an SLR 35mm one instead? I've found there are so many inexpensive ones on Ebay I can pick up. Since there ARE so many, can you by any chance make a recommendation of one or a few that fit all those specs you listed (make and model)? The lighting won't be an issue because I already shoot video in the same "studio." Thanks a bunch!

6. selmerdave

selmerdave TPF Noob!

Point and shoots have limited usefulness as lenses are rarely of good quality, are fixed focal length (wide angle), and give no control over the settings (aperature and shutter speed).

There are many threads here about SLR's to start out on, do a search but one quick answer is a Pentax ZX-5n since you want auto film advance (quick time between photos). For good photos the more you learn about how it all works (exposure, composition, lighting, lens choice etc.) increases your likelihood of success.

Dave

7. mikec

mikec TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hi, thank you for that info! I also just got a recommendation from a friend, he said the Canon EOS Rebel is a good camera for this, I looked it up and there are two versions, one says K2 and one says T2.. What is the specification I should be looking for that describes the motorized or auto film advance feature?

8. selmerdave

selmerdave TPF Noob!

I doubt that there is an EOS without auto film advance. Look at a picture, if it has a lever like this

[​IMG]

It is a manual advance unless you use a motor drive. If it is from the auto-focus generation it probably doesn't have one of those and probably looks like this:

[​IMG]

If it looks like that it is auto film advance.

Dave

9. mikec

mikec TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  10. selmerdave

selmerdave TPF Noob!

A modern manual focus camera is a very rare breed among the already rare breed (these days) of film cameras, so yes if you are buying something made within the last 15 years it almost certainly has auto film advance.

Those cameras are not a bad idea for what you need, but I have a hard time recommending buying a film camera anyway but used since the prices these days are so rediculously different than new thanks to the digital craze. But if you feel attached to the idea of "new camera smell" I would recommend buying it elsewhere because Circuit City seems to only sell it as a package (as opposed to body and lens separate). That lens is not really what you want for what you are talking about, a 50mm f1.8 will cost about the same but give you significantly better image quality and significantly better flexibility which will allow you to take shots that you couldn't with the zoom lens in the package.

For example:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/300535-USA/Canon_9113A001_EOS_Rebel_K2_Camera.html

and:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/12142-USA/Canon_2514A002_Normal_EF_50mm_f_1_8.html

I don't think the extra money for the T2 makes sense in your case.

Dave

11. mikec

mikec TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    OK, so I should be good to go with the Canon EOS Rebel K2 body, along with the Normal EF 50mm f/1.8 II Autofocus Lens. In my research, I read that the type of film makes a difference too. What film goes with this camera for what I am trying to accomplish (hopefully this is my last question)

12. Don Simon

Don Simon TPF Noob!

Honestly I couldn't say. We know that you want to take lots of fast consecutive shots, but we don't actually know what kind of lighting you're using or what kind of shoot this is. Are you going for a particular "look"? Do you want black and white, or colour? If colour, do you want accurately reproduced colours, or saturated? If you could let us know those things then it would help us narrow down your choices for film. :)

As for the camera, I'm pretty sure that it would be ok... although it shoots at 1.5 frames per second, which is not exactly super-fast. But as for buying it new...
    I am afraid there is only one phrase that is suitable, and that is OMG! NO!
    :lol: sorry but I would not buy a 35mm SLR new. They can be had for a tiny fraction of the price second hand - not old abused cameras, but like-new ones which have simply been dumped by people going all-digital. The prices are so insanely low, that IMO there is no reason at all to buy one new, unless you either want to throw your money at the shop or as selmer says like the smell of unused cameras ;)

The lens on the other hand, I would buy new because it is a good price and doesn't cost much more than buying used.