SLR purchase advice - D90 or D5000

Here's the difference between the 5000 and the 90 (as I see it): In body focus motor on the D90. This gives you a much larger selection of AF lenses. The D5000 (being the upgrade from the D40/x) only auto focuses with AF-I or S lenses. The 90 with AF with anything with AF in the description.

Thanks everyone. BTW, I obviously confused in-body auto focus with image stabilization. I knew there was some difference that involved a wider available lens selection with the D90 but forgot what it was. Thanks for clarifying that.

I just got home from BestBuy and checked out both cameras, along with the Canon T1i. All seem nice. I think I prefer the menu on the D90 to the Canon. There really doesn't "appear" to be as much diff' between LCD displays as I'd thought there'd be (D90 vs D5000). I probably won't need all the bells and whistles on the D90 for a while, but it's nice to know they're there for when I grow into them. I like experimenting and learning and I can be a bit obsessive about things, so I think I'd probably be happier with the D90 in the long run. I wonder if the next version of the D90 will have an articulating display but in high res? That might be worth waiting for.

Read more about the in-body focus motor. Especially for those who are tight in budget.

If you have a D90 and look for a fast 50mm prime lens, you have more choices than others that use D40/40x/60/D5000. (Including a much cheaper 50mm F/1.8 lens.)

True, but you can still use the 50mm f/1.8D for example... you just have to manually focus, it still meters just fine.

Loved the buy a Canon if your worried about getting mugged comment lol...I was thinking the same thing. I got a D90 and I am lovin it. The kit lens is great and the camera has awesome features and take great pictures. Takes a while to get use to the menus if you haven't used a dslr before but easy to learn. Highly recommended over the 5000.

Loved the buy a Canon if your worried about getting mugged comment lol...I was thinking the same thing. I got a D90 and I am lovin it. The kit lens is great and the camera has awesome features and take great pictures. Takes a while to get use to the menus if you haven't used a dslr before but easy to learn. Highly recommended over the 5000.

I bet no one has ever tried to steal his canon gear. It's like that Chex Mix commercial... Everyone's stealing his Chex Mix so he put it into a "boring" potato chip bag so no one wants any.

They should start selling Canon cases to put over our Nikon gear when we go to sketchy places on vacation, etc.

I am just messing around of course, don;t worry Canon users.

I bet no one has ever tried to steal his canon gear. It's like that Chex Mix commercial... Everyone's stealing his Chex Mix so he put it into a "boring" potato chip bag so no one wants any.

They should start selling Canon cases to put over our Nikon gear when we go to sketchy places on vacation, etc.

:lmao::lmao: Think we can get away with just a Canon bag?

:lmao::lmao: Think we can get away with just a Canon bag?

Perhaps. We just have to hope they don't catch on, and be careful where you pull your gear out. If they see you're not really shooting with Canon, they may follow you.

Maybe we could just paint some ugly stripes on our lenses and that would deter the common criminal.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back