SLR strap for active use

bojara

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm in search of a camera strap that will allow me to run around and chase my kids in the park or yard and yet not cause my camera to bounce on my back or hip, AND, allow me to quickly swivel the camera to a shooting position whenever needed. I've found that I can tighten most straps enough to not move when slung over the neck and shoulder. But, when its time to shoot something, I nearly have to dislocate my shoulder to get the thing off or in a position to shoot. These seconds usually result in lost moments, actually, it nearly always results in lost moments. I feel like there should be a strap out there that has a quick release adjustment clip situated in the front, when slung over neck and shoulder, that allows me to tighten and loosen the strap quickly, similar to a messenger bag strap.

I've looked at the R-strap and sun sniper and both dangle at the side of the hip, which is too loose for the movement I'm doing. Any ideas or suggestions out there?

Thanks,
- Mike

Maybe adjust the length of the r-strap and get an extra clip from them so you can clip it to your beltloop on your pants. That should hold it in place and allow you to easily unlatch it from your aide to go back to normal use?

The cotton carrier will be my next purchase for sure. Been eyeing that system for a while now.

CX thanks for posting that link. That thing looks awesome!

Several of my co-workers bought it and love it. They do a lot of hiking, mountain biking, skiing, etc. It works great for them.

Thanks CxThree, that might be the best option out there, excellent. If I do get it I'll post a review here in case others want a similar solution.

While I pursue the cotton carrier option, I don't know, I'm not a product designer, but I suspect this problem could be solved in the same way some messenger bag straps work. With the camera tightly secured to your back, in a over shoulder & neck configuration, you would have a "quick release" clip that is accessible from your chest that when engaged would simply loosen the strap but wouldn't disconnect or break the loop. The camera would drop several inches(drop/loosen length should be adjustable), giving you enough slack/movement to swivel the camera from your back to your hip and then to the front, giving full freedom to shoot any shot. Maybe there is a DIY solution to consider!

Regardless, the cotton carrier also may yield the same results, so, thanks again.

- Mike

Most reactions

Back