SLR vs DIGITAL

...with regards enlarging a 35mm format negative or transparency, if the film's "exposure latitude" is optimised (meaning - exposed correctly!) prints to 16x20 inches can be made without any deterioration in image quality due to grain

To achieve this, the photographer needs to establish a personal exposure index (EI) for their own camera system by calibrating their meter, camera and film to sync'

Although somewhat advanced - calibration is *most* important for those wishing to improve their images

Possibly worth a tutorial in the "How To" forum...

Any takers (???)

With regards the use of digital vs film in publishing, many publishing houses now use digital - for convenience

However, for fine work, such as in National Geographic and art print publications - transparency or B&W is their preferred medium

Digital has certainly found favour with many home users for "happy-snaps" and Web use - but the cost of top end equipment and lenses to match conventional SLR's put it beyond most except professional shooters and the keen hobbyist

Digital has the disadvantage, that, with every innovation a new camera needs to be purchased ... whereas with an SLR - new innovations simply mean purchasing the latest film

Of course, neither medium (film nor digital) can match the human eye in terms of exposure latitude: at best they are second rate!

Digital has an exposure latitude of 3 f-stops (same as transparency)

Colour negative film is a little better with 5 - in the hands of a good shooter

B&W is the best we have at 7 f-stops - but again, only in the hands of a good shooter

And the human eye?

17 f-stops...

Makes one wanna cry!

:)

e_

EDIT: correct a tense

I have a few slr and just got a digital I love the feeling the slr and don't think I will ever give it up. Plus don't feel I like a took with this small point and shot thing, don't get me wrong I realy like the speed and low cost taking digital pics. I would love the best of both worlds a DIGITAL SLR but dang that cost an arm and leg. When the cost drops I will most likly get one but untill then slr rules.

Most reactions

Back