SLRs that shoot video

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by Iron Flatline, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Hi all.

Well, unlike some here, I have no problems with a dSLR that shoots video - why not? It may not be "pure" the way they used to be... but that's only because it wasn't possible back in the day.

I get the fact that it opens up creative opportunities that previously would have cost a fortune... different focal lengths, DOFs, all of that good stuff, now available for video for a few thousand bucks.

Nice.

But I just got back from Burning Man, a community that was very concerned about professional video. Correctly so: the things we do there shouldn't get back unfiltered to people who don't understand. So good video gear has to be registered with the media guys. Same for SLRs, if you're planning on using it the images commercially. That also makes sense.

But as SLRs acquire the ability to shoot high-end video ("HD" though I see that claim as somewhat over-hyped) I believe a lot of places that allow still but not video will also ban SLRs.

Bummer.

What do you all think?

2. reg

reg TPF Noob!

Stuck inside of Mobile with the GTFO Blues Again
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I did pretty much agree on all other points though, the opportunities.

3. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    hmm an interesting and important thought!
    Most places where I have encountered a ban on video its where they have some video of their own on display or a presentation (lecture or guided walk) that they do not wish to be copied.
    Be interesting to see if this is one line of technology that will be noticed or if it will sneak in unsuspected

4. Kent Dunne

Kent Dunne TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have no problem with it, I just don't see why I would ever want it in an SLR. I am upset with all the new "creative auto mode" for the new Canon 50d. If you don't know about it, You spin your selector wheel and the LCD shows you words like "Blurred background," etc, and you shoot shoot shoot away.

When I bought my SLR when I was 12, I made a commitment to learn photography. I had shot with a point&shoot forever, and wanted to have the tools to go further. I struggled and struggled with the controls for the longest time. I got worse shots than I did with my P&S, but now, years later, I know every in and out of that camera. It's second nature and an extension of me.

I fear now that Nikon and Canon are just trying to put all the fun whistles and bells into an SLR- especially the D90- which is SUPPOSED to be the prosumer line... I mean, I wouldn't be as upset if it was on the D40 line. And I fear that nikon and canon are trying to put easy-mode on all their cameras, and are trying to make greensquare as advanced as I can. I understand that on P&S and the D40 line, but not the prosumer line...

My 2ยข
    -Kent Dunne

5. prodigy2k7

prodigy2k7 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I dont see any problem with video on a 1DsMKIII, the pros don't have to use it...Why the complaining?

6. Bifurcator

Bifurcator TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Yeah, tho it seemed after all that most people here anyway were just afraid that the video would suck nuggets. After they saw that it didn't they were more accepting.

I think they won't know for about 3 to 5 years - more maybe. :D I think the old classifications of "still" and "video" cameras based on their form will last a long long time to come.

Even now event security filters out dSLR forms and allow P&Ss when both are capable of producing nearly identical results. It doesn't make sense to me but I'm not as susceptible to consumer conditioning (read brain washing) and marketing as some others. <shrug>

7. Joves

Joves No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If I wanted a videocamera then I would buy one. I find that adding more useless garbage to electronic devices degrades the inital functions. Cell phones are a prime example. The one I had before was a basic phone and worked well but, the one that they have added a camera,video and, other stuff I dont care about, doesnt have the same signal range my old one did. There were places here in N. Az where I got a minimal signal that I now get none. I want an slr and an slr only. It shouldnt be too much to ask for.
    Now if Nikon made a videocamera that I could use my AF lenses on then I would think about getting it. To me dedication to doing a task without other BS added is a beautiful thing. Ive seen the videos off the D90 but, I still dont want it on my camera littering up my firmware space.

8. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I think (yet again) that the phone analogy is bad - a phone is a mobile communications device - thus when it tries to be a GPS and an email accessor it does well - accessing the internet it does slightly worse as many websites are not made for phones and their smaller screens.
    However when it tries to be a camera its bad - why - because its trying to do something that its not based around doing - when a camera though tries to be a video camera what is it really doing?
    Its boosting its FPS to 25fps minimum. Then its recording each and every frame taken for a long duration - the result automatically strung together is a video. With most DSLRs at pro and mid level (and now beginner too) now having live view the sensor is already accustomed to being used for longer time lengths - so that problem is moot.
    In the end its natural that even DSLRs would start to get video features - I mean how annoyed would you be with a 25 FPS camera that would take enough frames on a single burst to string together into a short film? You would most likely complain that it it is a pain to have to buy and then manually string together the resulting films (which would all need individual editing). Giving the software in camera is a big help in this.
    Further I don't see how adding live view recording is going to make the camera aspects worse.

also I doubt that the inclusion of a camera or anything else renders a phone less useful as a phone - I suspect shifting arials and different providers along with a host of other things affect the reception - I doubt the inclusion of a camera feature does

9. prodigy2k7

prodigy2k7 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Im sorry whats wrong with things bring jumbled into one? Lots of new phones these days come with email, web browser etc... Well why not keep the email and web browser on PDA's where most people use it? Why not create a "Texting Device" and a "Email Device" and "Web Browser" device.

It is much more convenient to have everything in 1 package. Why buy lots things when you can have all of them in 1 nice package?

When it comes to you saying you want an SLR and SLR only, then keep what you got for the rest of your life, or learn how to make one, or stick to film SLR. Canon/Nikon/Sony and all the other companies dont care about what 10% of the community wants if the other 90% wants it. You dont have to use the video function. I dont see the big deal in a SLR having video.

"I still dont want it on my camera littering up my firmware space."
    Sorry do you have something reserved for your firmware space that you dont want a video camera occupying?

10. William Petruzzo

William Petruzzo TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Seems to me that it's nothing to worry about as far as artistry is concerned. It is annoying that events and such will likely begin to crack down on slr users. But, in the rest of the world, I doubt the feature will see much serious use. For two reasons mostly. For one, most people who shoot video professionally never really use the "snapshot" features. So, why would a serious SLR shooter ever use a "video" feature.

Besides that, technology and art always kind of moves toward the accessibility of the masses. I see it as a challenge. There will be tons of people carrying around expensive cameras, using "creative" modes. It's just a reason for us to work harder to produce images worth looking at.

Kind of like Prosumer video cameras forcing Hollywood to make better movies... well, that one might never happen.

11. gendarmee

gendarmee TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Sounds good.
    Always good too have something at hand, as in, a choice too use it or not. Rather than not too have it at all.

12. Bifurcator

Bifurcator TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Just focusing on the analogy for a moment I kinda like it. My phone displays all web pages excellently and the 3.x MP camera in is pretty dang good.

[​IMG]
    My Phone #1

[​IMG]
    My Phone #2 (800x450 screen rez)

For the analogy applied to a camera:

Don't you want to upload your images directly to your on-line storage or publish directly in-camera from the field?

How about GPS so that each photo you select to do so can click-link to a google satellite map or if you're reviewing a restaurant, event or etc. a google street map?

Sound recording so that if you're on a guided tour or something you can record a clip for the item you're photographing as the guide rattles off all the details no one usually remembers afterwards. These either from speech recognition or later dictation in the home can really help build the web page up around whatever the subjects are/were.

Video recording for when the cops start breaking your friend's camera, or when the kid is hanging onto a log in a residential flood area, when you have a cat that can run up the wall and across the ceiling, etc.

The camera is a "mobile communications device" too and I would just love it if it basically had a sophisticated PDA built in. As long as it didn't get in the way of actual camera operation!

I would much rather carry around a D700, or D3 looking thing with a pancake lens rather than a cellphone. It would look cooler and instead of text-messaging brainless chat-room users and playing scaled down games in my free-time I could practice being creative with the camera. :D

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008