slurpy

bribrius

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
DSCN4565bpnef1_011.JPG

you guys think i am pushing the limits here. Or just shooting what i see...

Pushing the limits of what?
Your equipment?
well, i took this down from a different site as people seemed to think i was being negative toward overweight people and didnt like the photo much. I just shoot what i see though. I saw it, i shot it. I didn't shoot it just based on the weight factor either (admittedly the belly shirt drew my attention) though, i liked the kid in the stroller in front as well and just the layout in general.

Pushing the limits of what?
Your equipment?
I can see the need for a wide angle. The image made me chuckle.
just wasn't sure if i was on that line of "oh, he is just picking on fat people". People come in all shapes and sizes and i shoot a lot of everyday people and every day things. Some seemed to have taken this photo negatively though. One person said i shouldn't post it because people already think bad enough things about people from Maine. So maybe i guess i be shooting just lobster men and Maine pretty scenery . i dunno.

Last edited:
the picture is OK; it's not like they don't have mirrors.

but the processing is terrible

^+1. Honestly, I was way too busy wondering what was up with the processing and the lines in it to even think about the fact that there was an overweight person in it.

As far as picking on "fat people"...meh.
Is it "picking" on them to take their picture, more so than if you take a picture of a person of average weight? What if you take a picture of someone substantially UNDERweight? Is that picking on THEM? Or someone "freakishly" tall (lol--that's what I call my boys)? Or a really short person?
Is it a no-no to take a picture of someone who is incapable of matching their clothing?
Where does that line get drawn?

OR--is it perhaps MORE offensive, really, that we would AVOID taking pictures of certain people because of their weight, or height or ability to color coordinate?

yeah i took the processing somewhere new for me. I kind of liked it for the type of photo but had some reservations. Think i am just searching for something "different" for my people street shots. What is it specifically you dislike about the processing out of curiosity? I debated on fixing the blow out highlight on the arm.

^+1. Honestly, I was way too busy wondering what was up with the processing and the lines in it to even think about the fact that there was an overweight person in it.

Is it "picking" on them to take their picture, more so than if you take a picture of a person of average weight? What if you take a picture of someone substantially UNDERweight? Is that picking on THEM? Or someone "freakishly" tall (lol--that's what I call my boys)? Or a really short person?
Is it a no-no to take a picture of someone who is incapable of matching their clothing?

OR--is it perhaps MORE offensive, really, that we would AVOID taking pictures of certain people because of their weight, or height or ability to color coordinate?
Good point. sounds like a no win either way. Just shoot. Yeah i ran it through a freeware edit program for the lines, then sent if to my nik software. Guess you don't like the lines. lol

Last edited:

If we take pictures of people because of what they are, that seems to be borderline objectionable.
If they do something, which they have a choice to do or not, then fair game.

Someone who is dramatically overweight who wears a belly shirt and slurps stuff in the street - hmmm, that's sort of a picture of someone doing something and is OK but maybe a bit of a low blow. I did it once and that's enough for me. Lew Lorton Photography Street Photojournalism

yeah i took the processing somewhere new for me. I kind of liked it for the type of photo but had some reservations. Think i am just searching for something "different" for my people street shots. What is it specifically you dislike about the processing out of curiosity? I debated on fixing the blow out highlight on the arm.

Processing should support the image but in this case, just draws attention to the defects in the picture.

If we take pictures of people because of what they are, that seems to be borderline objectionable.

Someone who is dramatically overweight who wears a belly shirt and slurps stuff in the street - hmmm, that's sort of a picture of someone doing something and is OK but maybe a bit of a low blow. I did it once and that's enough for me. Lew Lorton Photography Street Photojournalism

I agree, Lew. My point in the statement I made wasn't to suggest I think it's okay to take a picture of them BECAUSE of what they are--simply that we shouldn't AVOID taking a picture because of it, either.

For example, in the scene above, perhaps I was fascinated by these two women hauling around both a stroller AND a large wagon in the middle of what I presume to be a fairly public shopping district. I shouldn't NOT take the picture BECAUSE they are overweight.

Processing should support the image but in this case, just draws attention to the defects in the picture.
hey, i went through extra work to create those defects trying to match the style with what appeared to be the subject content. I hear you though. Thanks, i'll give it some thought.

I agree, Lew. My point in the statement I made wasn't to suggest I think it's okay to take a picture of them BECAUSE of what they are--simply that we shouldn't AVOID taking a picture because of it, either.

For example, in the scene above, perhaps I was fascinated by these two women hauling around both a stroller AND a large wagon in the middle of what I presume to be a fairly public shopping district. I shouldn't NOT take the picture BECAUSE they are overweight.
i see stuff like that all the time though. If she wasn't obese with a belly shirt drinking a slurpy i have to admit my eye wouldn't have been so quickly drawn to her. I shot five people in the district within about a hour. The reasons for this shot was, well she stood out for different reasons than the others i shot.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back